Sunday, October 23, 2011

Rabbit Food Blog Tour Kickoff


When Sasquatch Books asked me to kickoff the blog tour for Beth Barnett's Rabbit Food cookbook, I was excited to participate.  Especially, since Beth's book fits well within my theme this month. Rabbit Food was orginally sold as a small edition, handmade spiral bound vegan zine.

From left to right, falafel con chickpea, front and back covers.
Sasquatch Books has tried to keep true to the feel of Beth's original zine, and I think they did a great job.  The new release also includes new illustrations, updates and a few new recipes from Beth.

All of the recipes in Rabbit Food fit into the yummy/comfort food category of vegan cooking and seem pretty easy to make.  After diligently reading the book in the tub, I settled on trying the falafel recipe.   As close as I am to my friend Chickpea, it's weird that I'd never attempted to make falafel from scratch before.  Even with my love of making balls, it's one of those foods I usually just wait to eat when dining out, or in the past when I have made it, it came outta Ze Ol' Box.

Tahini Sauce Riverfall.
I followed Beth's recipe to the capital tee, using superfine brown rice flour and fresh parsley.  One of my favorite things about falafel is the crazy bright green insides, so next time I make these, I'll probably add a lot more to try to get that same glow.  To go with today's falafel, I also whipped up a little bowl of Beth's tahini sauce.  I ate mine wrapped in lettuce with fresh cukes, sweet red pepper and a small river of tahini sauce. Tasty stuff.

Recipe posted with permission of Sasquatch Books.
Here's the recipe straight from the book--all of the recipes are hand written with cute illustrations throughout. I sure wish most of my cookbooks were spiral bound, it makes cooking so much easier.  

Sasquatch Books has offered to send a free copy of Rabbit Food to one of my readers in the US or Canada.  If you'd like a copy,  simply post a comment saying so, and I'll randomly pick a winner the morning of Friday, October 28th. Please make sure to leave me a way to contact you, if your name doesn't link to a website.

Rabbit Food will be on tour for a full week after today, here's where you can find it next:

Tuesday October 25th,  Cook Vegan Lover
Wednesday, October 26th, Bake and Destroy
Thursday October 27th, Carrie on Vegan
Friday October 28th, Vegancraftastic
Saturday October 29th, Manifest Vegan
Sunday October 30th, Andrea's Easy Vegan Cooking
Monday Octover 31st, Vegansaurus

Full disclosure:  I have not received any compensation for participating in this blog tour, although I have received a free review copy of Rabbit Food cookbook.

xo
kittee

30 comments:

  1. I've had the old edition since it came out. Good recipes and super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I would love to win a free copy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh I'll have to make that falafel!!

    I would love a copy of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The book looks great. Love the rabbit theme! I would love the cookbook so I can make your Tahini Sauce Riverfall.... I would make it just like the picture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kittee, I would soo love to win this cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute...count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book looks adorable. I would loooove a copy. Thanks for including Canada! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the handwriting look of this book! How rad that the publisher worked to keep that handmade feel that we all know and love. Also, the idea of a blog tour is totally clever and rad. How fun.

    ps. you better come by my blog today because I drew you a little present on my post today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have wanted this book for a while! I think I've seen it in the Microcosim catalog before... PS I love your site! kimberly@thebutterflyeffect.cc

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not a spammer, and I would never kill a baby sea turtle. Furthermore, my blog is called The Amazing Voyages of the Turtle -- so you can see that my heart is in the right place. Oh, and I would love to have a copy of Rabbit Food!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks like a lovely little book. I'd love to get my hands on a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've love to try that, although I agree with you about bright green falafel insides :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love love love love LOVE the chance to receive this fun lil thing! I'm now cooking without the use of an oven or stove so I'm trying my hardest to find lots of fun new recipes to keep me happy, even if I have to come up with crazy alternative ways to cook them! Ooooooooo I hope I hope I hope you choose me! I'm definitely crossing my fingers : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the lentil soup recipe from this little bookie. And The illustrations are super cute. This isn't an entry!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks like the cutest vegan book ever! I would love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oooh I would LOVE a copy of this. I have a US address toooooooo!!!
    <:-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'd love a copy! Thanks for having a giveaway! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a cute book, it would make a great addition to my cook book collection!
    rubylynns (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  19. i wish i was spiral bound. wait, that's not a thing is it? please enter me in the giveaway!
    schapacon@hotmail.com
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would love to win a copy of Rabbit Food! Thank you for your consideration.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That looks like an amazing book! I'd love it. Actually, I'm going to put it on my Christmas wishlist if I don't win!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks adorable, and I agree: spiral-bound cookbooks rock.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I would love a copy of this cookbook!
    herbschool@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'd love a copy! Pick me, pick me!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm always looking for groovy new cookbooks to try - and coincidentally, always looking for new falafel recipes to try. This sounds like a good one - I think I'll give it a go next time the falafel craving hits me!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'd love to win a copy!!

    http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lts5gjw46t1qzp2x4o1_500.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am love for rabbit. I ask what food of rabbit eating. plz tell me.

    Rabbit Food

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.