Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Pumpking Fig Bagels Rule.

You got the joke up there, right?  I'm not that bad of a speller...

I've been working on my bagel recipe/s this week.  Somehow when the figs in the backyard get ripe in the Fall, it makes me want bagels.  Not just any bagel, but bagels with figs, which is a weird thing.  Especially since I come from a toasted savory bagel, with cream cheese, tomato and onion sorta family.  The same exact craving hit me this time last year, too.  So maybe don't tell my Mom. She would probably be OK with a cinnamon raisin fix, but pumpkin-cinnamon-fig?  It might cause unnecessary concern.


These bagels are for zine #3.  Instead of baking them with fresh figs on top (like in the photo), which was tasty and a fun experiment, but really hard to eat, adding stuff to the inside is a smarter approach.  Stuff like dried figs, pumpkin, cinnamon and cardamon. I hate it when I'm practical, but practicality often yields The Tasty. Just don't take away my jangly nail polish, and it'll all even out.


Yesterday, I split one and toasted it for lunch, and ate it adorned with a delicious topping.  I added ground cinnamon, roasted chopped hazelnuts and fresh chopped figs to cream cheeze.  It was gorgeous to eat, but a visual abomination.  I pinky swear, you don't want to see it.

Don't forget about the Rabbit Food cookbook giveaway!  I'm not drawing a winner until this Friday!

xo
kittee

7 comments:

  1. Oooh they look and sound all warm and toasty. I LOVE fresh fig season.
    *does the happy happy dance*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot wait for this recipe! These sound so good--and figs, man, you just stole my heart. I'm kinda jealous that you have figs at your disposal. Lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I figging love this! Am I the only nudnik who can't view the pics on this blog? What has gone wrong? Do tell. I need to see me some delicious bagels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a confession. I've never eaten a fig! I'd have to buy them at the store...how do you pick a good one?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never had fresh figs before - but the whole idea of this sounds absolutely mouth-watering! I've been planning on making some bagels with (somewhat) fresh cherries and nuts that I've been harvesting, but I haven't had the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want to love figs as much as you do. I've been eating about one per day, from the neighbors tree, but I just am not that into them. Emerson, however LOOOOVES figs.

    Oh. I did LOOOOVE your fig jam though. So there's that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Embrace the figs!
    @Becky--this time of year, you can find pints of fresh figs in the produce department. just pick a pint and give 'em a go.

    otherwise, they're usually dried. i bought a bunch today, actually. i like black mission, but any dried fig is yummy to me. dried figs are what you need for baking. fresh are very delicate and are best eaten as is, or cut in half, dipped in sugar and broiled. oh yes! isa taught me that one.

    xo
    kittee

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.