Monday, October 10, 2011

Please Don't Feed the Bears #2, Steve and Heidi Make Good


Brad Misanthrope's Don't Feed the Bears #1-3 are pretty well known in the indy zine/book circuit, if you know them, you're probably familiar with the compiled book Microcosm released a few years ago.  I don't remember when or how, but lucky for me, that implanted vegan cookzine magnet I've got has enabled me to collect all three of these in their original format.

Here's the front view of all three copies.
All of the cover art and illustrations are hand-drawn by Brad, with tons of his political musings as well as music selections for each recipe strewn throughout.

You wanna see their backsides?  What??
By the time I got to New Orleans, Brad had already moved on to Pennsylvania, but apparently he spent a few years down there, too.


I thought this roach sentiment was both uplifting and especially apropos for today's menu item.  I scoured through all three copies, trying to decide which to sample.  Tons of stuff sounded good, but I settled on "Steve and Heidi's Authentic Creole Tofu and Rice."  I read through the ingredients and had everything on hand, plus I knew that Dazee would be super happy to guzzle this for dinner.


The recipe begins where all tasty recipes begin-- with crispy, noochie coated tofu cubes.   I cut the tofu into small cubes, doused 'em in wheat-free tamari, then dunked 'em all in a blend of Tony Chachere's and nutritional yeast.   When using any sort of seasoning blend, I am a strong advocate for purchasing the salt-free variety, otherwise you can't properly control how the dish is seasoned, without worrying about things getting too salty.


The nooch cubes were tossed onto an oiled baking sheet and thrown into a hot oven until sizzling, chewy and golden brown.  Pretty good on their own!


Then I was directed to make a roux, I went with a medium-dark one made from olive oil, gluten-free oat and chickpea flours, which I cooled quickly down with a big shot of Trinity (chopped onions, celery and red bell pepper).  Garlic and other spices were added, including more Tony Chachere's.   That stuff always makes me sneeze, no matter what, so you know it's potent.


After the vegetables had cooked and softened, I added some water and tomato paste to make a gravy.  This was served over some pink rice (thank you Vida Vegan!) and topped with the chewy tofu.  Super filling and delicious, especially dappled with Tabasco!

  • Title: Please Don't Feed the Bears, #2 (Too Late)
  • Author:  Brad Misanthrope
  • AvailabilityAvailable here from Microcosm. 
  • Size:   5 1/2 X 8 1/2 (vertical half-size letter) / Stapled 
  • Length: 70 pages
  • Collection:  81 recipes with a ton of information including a soundtrack for each.
  • 5 Recipes to IntrigueItal Stew, Caribbean Rice and Peas, Kofta Balls, Korean Seasoned Potatoes and Watermint-Melon Slushie
  • XGFXness: Lots of these recipes are gluten-free, mostly just the baked goods (which are limited) contain gluten.
  • Zine Wiki: Not listed
Thanks Brad!
xo
kittee

17 comments:

  1. That looks so amazing. I love noochy tofu, I remember having it a stir fry somewhere in portland and thinking I have to do this when I get home and then I forgot til now, so thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I <3 zines! This dish looks so good, too (now I'm hungry!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this Zine series! I have the first one and its a treasure. This recipe looks like just what the doctor ordered for this rainy week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this one and never know what to make. This looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm officially hungry! I love nooch on tofu. So delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, K, Lisa and T!

    @Molly, I know what you mean, but this one really did come out great. I made some mods to the recipe, if you make it. More like the order of things than anything else, and also the Tony's!

    @Veggieamanda, I agree!

    xo
    kittee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that tofu looks incredibly gorgeous, and it's almost fat free? I've got something else wonderful planned for tonight but this looks even better. Gah, so many choices!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Zoa, I wouldn't call it fat free. The tofu was a regular fat tofu and the cookie sheet had a few tablespoons of oil on it. You could achieve the same thing with a mister, I've just never found one that works.

    xo
    kittee

    ReplyDelete
  9. Noochy coated tofu?? Why have I not heard about this before???
    (I have total zine envy just for the record)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You do the cookzines proud!
    Deelicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so overwhelmed by MoFo reading that I am super-duper-behind on commenting. However, I LOVE your MoFo theme, and I LOVE this zine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Any recipe that begins with crispy-noochy tofy can only be stellar. You really are the cake maker--and zine-talent-scout maker--to the stars. Thanks for sharing all these hidden gems. xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your tofu looks so good and the recipes you listed as intriguing make me want to buy these zines!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your tofu looks awesome, I have never tried nooch coated tofu before but it sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my god Kittee, this looks so freaky good!! I have some salt free tony's too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks delicious, gonna have to try it soon. So in love with Brad's artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm loving Please Don't Feed The Bears at the moment, I need to try more things from it & I think these noochy tofu cubes will be next.

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.