Friday, October 28, 2011

Occupy Pum'kin and Other Halloween Treats

Today: an evening view of our pum'kin--I borrowed the idea from my friend Walter. I haven't carved a pumpkin in years, and dude--squash has gotten a lot thicker than I remember. This was tough to cut!


In case you can't see it,  there's a big spider on the top with a multiplicity o' eyeballs.

Tomorrow:  my friend Michelle regularly cooks from a certain zine that I don't own.  She whipped up her favorite dish from it, and tomorrow I'll be posting her contribution to The Zine Museum.  If you have a zine that I haven't written about yet, let me know if you want to send something in!  The more the better.

Right now:  I wanted to show you a few of my favorite Halloween projects, in case you're still on the prowl for awesome things to make.

Don't underestimate the power of a cupcake!  Especially ones with fig eyeballs on 'em.


These are dipped in homemade fondant and decorated with buttercream and figs.  You could also go the easy route and just dip them in a powdered sugar glaze. 

Sushi can be really fun!  Here's some I made a few MoFos past, I just added a little food coloring to the cooking water and dyed the wasabi to make it look freaky.

Using a dark rice with sweet potato tempura in the middle looks super cool!  You can twist it up, too.  Candy sushi is one of my all time favorites.

I haven't made this since I went xgfx, but if you put your creative hat on, I bet you can succeed!  Use xgfx cereal and for fillings melted and colored Dandies, cookie dough, caramel and fudge would all work great!  You could also fill these with colored tapioca pudding, or use some to make gunkan or temaki, or plain up "jello" nigiri.

When in doubt, you can always just make brainz

Click here for brain how-tos.
I was thinking of adding vermicelli noodles this year, y'know for that ultra elusive, sexy brainworm effect. 


Also, if you have the time and skills, homemade candycorn is xgfx!  You can fnd the recipe over on Melisser's blog, The Urban Housewife.

Oh!  I almost forgot!  The random number for the Rabbit Food cookbook giveaway was commenter #15 --Amberle.  Amberle, please get back to me this weekend with your contact info, or I'm picking another winner on Monday!

xo
kittee

9 comments:

  1. hey kittee, what do u use for wrapping the candy sushi?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanx for the links. I can view your brain now. I'm always open for a brain how-to. These candies are awesome. Swedish Fish are my downfall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AH! I realized I didn't include my contact info RIGHT after I posted my entry and I was so worried that I had totally failed. my email address is amberleDOThoweATgmailDOTcom. I AM SO WAY BEYOND EXCITED!!! This made my week and then some : ) Thank you Kittee! Please let me know the best way to get you the rest of my info. YAAAAAAAY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey birrrd!
    click on the that candy sushi link and it will bring you to the original post. the ones in the picture are covered in fruit leather. you could make your own, too. in the oven or dehydrator to get really better colors. some folks also coat them in chocolate...

    xo
    kittee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Get Skinny.
    Gigi, I'm glad you like looking at my brainz...
    xo
    kittee

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's so much awesome halloween stuff in this post! I really want to make candy corn soon and those eyeball cupcakes are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, I wish blogging had been around when my daughter was small, she'd have loved this!
    I've just given you the Liebster Blog award, come and see:)
    http://christineeatsglutenfreevegan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. bahahaha--Occupy Pumpkin! That is too funny, Kittee. I love that. Not to mention, I am loving the rest of your Halloween creations--especially those BRAINS! Creepy, yet delectable.

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.