Monday, October 17, 2011

Kitchen Witch: Vegan Magic


In my fantasy head, I keep thinking I'm being so organized about my theme for MoFo this year, but the truth is I usually have no idea WTF I'm going to cook until around 1:30 or so.  I'm really not a big plan aheader in the cooking department, unless there's an event or party that I have to be put together for.  Usually, it really has more to do with,  "What can I make without hauling my tired ass to the co-op?"  So when I started rooting around in the zines today, I was pleased to discover I had ever'thing I needed to crank out Potato-Broccoli soup from Kitchen Witch--Vegan Magic.  This zine's title is pretty self-descriptive; along with recipes you get info about "Alchemical Arts," "Recipes for the Revolution," Wicca talk, pro-boob feeding info and stuff like that.  It's all good, clean fun, nothing weird to look at here.

Sorta plain Jane, but sometimes that's A-OK.
Here's the facts.  This zine's a bit plain in the layout, humor and art area, and the recipes are super basic.  But y'know, everything I made today was really tasty, and tasty goes a long way. 


Sometimes a simple recipe can mean there's more room for creative play and personal adaptations, plus it can also be good for both beginner cooks and newer vegans.

Broccoli-Potato Soup
The Broccoli-Potato soup instructions were super clear and simple.  I mostly followed the recipe, although I did add in some fresh leeks, 'cuz we just snared one at Saturday's Far-Mar.

I was hungry while the soup was cooking, so I plowed through the zine to see if I had ingredients for anything else.  With a few changes, I realized Red Cabbage Salad was well within my reach.  I do love cabbage slaw, and I was able to put this together in about five minutes.  Man, but was this good!  I gobbled through the entire bowl while watching the last of the first season of Breaking Bad.

Red Cabbage Salad is good for TV watching.
While the soup was plenty tasty, especially with some sesame chili-oil, the cabbage salad really stole the show.  I used my mandoline on a small head of cabbage, then added some fresh spinach, a chopped apple, some roasted hazelnuts and a bit of ground flax.  I tossed it all with a bit of green olive oil, organic balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.  That's all it needed.  I need to remember how delicious and easy a salad like this can be.

Look at all that healthy stuff.
  • Title:  Kitchen Witch:  Vegan Magic
  • Author:   Kara Maia, Spring 2002
  • Availability I'm not sure if this is current, but here's the contact email.
  • Size:   5 1/2 X 8 1/2 (vertical half-size letter) / Stapled 
  • Length 43 pages
  • Collection:   33 recipes
  • 5 Recipes to IntrigueTahini Tofu Spread, Sharon's Samadhi Tofu, Sweet and Sassy Split Pea Soup, Tortillas and Tiger Shake
  • XGFXness: There's plenty of xgfx in here, from soups, to salads and smoothies. 
  • Zine Wiki: Not listed
xo kittee

6 comments:

  1. Tasty slaw salad. Sounds great. I'm hungry. The tiger shake intrigues me. Is it striped?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @gigi, the tiger shake is weird! Soymilk, frozen banana, peanut butter, blackstrap molasses and then NUTRITIONAL YEAST. Not sure where the stripe comes in?

    xo
    kittee

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh, that salad looks so good right now. Yum yum yum yum yum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, I love apples in salad and that looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ROASTED HAZELNUTS! WOW! Hazelnuts are my favorite nut and I would have never thought to put them in a salad. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.