Sunday, October 23, 2011

In the Mood.

I've been feeling like decorating for Halloween this year, but didn't want to buy a bunch of plastic stuff that would probably end up getting thrown away.  Instead I decided to make a bunch of quick stuff with materials we already had on hand.


These are ghosts I made by simply using old white cloth I had laying around.  I hot glued on googly eyes leftover from other sultry projects, then strung the ghosts from our front railing alongside some hand cut papel picado, dhalias and sunflower seed heads from the garden.


The birds and squirrels have been making a mess on the porch, but I just think it adds to the mood of the season.  I made the papel picado from regular ol' printer paper.  First I cut the scallops on the bottom, then I folded it up like you would for snowflake cut-outs and cut away.  I hot-glued the paper to some orange yarn, then glued a few strips onto the page, to make it more secure.

I've also had another go at sugar skulls.  I love making these. They consist of nothing more than beet sugar, food coloring and a bit of powdered egg replacer (the starch in the egg replacer works just as well as powdered meringue).

Here are the before shots, and in a few days, I'll post pictures after they've been properly decorated. This year I think I may glue some tea lights onto the tops and use them to line the steps on Halloween Eve, alongside a big Jack-o'-lantern.

xo
kittee

5 comments:

  1. I am, without a doubt, absolutely smitten with the ghost you made in the first photograph. Keep a close watch, I might come swipe him right off your pretty little porch...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your decorations! We don't really do Halloween here but I did often go trick or treatin' as a kid. I want to put up some decorations this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your Halloween decorations & those sugar skulls are rad, I can't wait to see them once they've been decorated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohmygosh, I absolutely adore all of your creations!! How did it take me so long to find this blog? I am inspired now to make my own stuff instead of buying disposable decor. I especially love your papel picado--you are super creative, Kittee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh kittee, I am behind on your blog and that is lame because you are the best. I love this post! Those halloween decorations are the best. I am scheming something fun for Dia de Los Muertos. I hope it works out.
    xo

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.