Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Don't Eat Off the Sidewalk: Simple Recipes for Complicated Vegans

I'm definitely too talkie for Wordless Wednesdays, too clashy for What I Wore Wednesdays and maybe just lame enough to start WTF (slashed because this actually exists), so I'll go with Wacky Wednesdays.   There ya go.  Anyway, I'm trying to organize a Vegan MoFo flash mob for this coming Friday, which also happens to be Vegan MoFo's (eff yea)  Hump Day.  It's gonna be fun, and no, you don't need to know what I'm talking about to participate.  Just be spontaneous and go here to submit your email so I can send you the details tomorrow.  The link is only gonna be up for part of tomorrow, so get on it.  Otherwise you're gonna be feeling left out come Friday, and as you all know worm eating is not for lovers.

On to the zines!  Today Amy Applesauce came over for a long overdue cook-date.  After we walked vee for a long jaunt, we came home and fixed lunch from Mrs. Hubbard's spiffy 2007 Don't Eat Off the Sidewalk.  Yes, she named her zine after a Cramps song, and no, I don't know which song.  Although, I did see The Cramps play a tiny UT venue in the early 90s.  Lux Interior wore black leggings and matching skyscraper-stilettos and climbed off and on the super-tall monitors throughout their entire set.

The obligatory front and back covers, drawn by Felica Olin.
I knew going into DEOTS I wanted to make the Tempeh Wingz, 'cuz they're world famous, I'd never tried them before and they're unapologetically spelled with a zee.  Amy wanted to make something sans soy, so we also whipped up Katie's Vegetable Fried Rice. 

Clockwise from top:  Vegetable Fried Rice, daintily dressed Tempeh Wings and nummy Wingz' Sauce.

Here's a picture of our spread, I lightly dressed the wingz, for this photo 'cuz I wanted you to see how thick and crunchy the breading came out.  Everything was really tasty, and I learned something new about xgfx cooking in the process.  I bet you didn't know that brown rice cakes whizzed up in the ol' electric spice grinder resemble panko.  Did ya, huh?

"There is no wrong with this pie."
Katie's recipes are really simple to make, soul-comforting and easy on the eyes, too.  You might not see it in the picture, but our Vegetable Fried Rice was a gorgeous double rainbow of delight.  Stuffed full with:  purple cabbage, cauliflower, portobello mushroom, onion, red pepper and broccoli.  I'm looking forward to chugging leftovers for breakfast tomorrow.
  • Title:  Don't Eat Off the Sidewalk #1
  • AuthorKatie Hubbard
  • AvailabilityI don't think any of Katie's zines are available anymore, but you can bug her about them on her blog.  Also, she has a bunch of recipes posted there, including her world renowned Tempeh Wingz.
  • Size 5 1/2 X 8 1/2 (vertical half-size letter) / Stapled 
  • Length: 18 pages
  • Collection15 recipes
  • 5 Recipes to IntrigueTempeh Wingz, Emergency Barbecue Sauce, Frozen Banana Pops, Herbed Tomato Potato Salad and Vegetable Fried Rice.
  • XGFXness: About five of the recipes call for wheat flour and could be xgfxercised with some know-how, while the others are xgfx or easy to make xgfx.
  • Zine Wiki: Not listed


  1. I don't have the zine but I love Katie's tempeh wingz, now I have to try them with portobellos instead.

  2. Awesome, I really need to make those tempeh wingz.

  3. Those wingz are the best, and I make them constantly. True love, if ever there was.

  4. I love all your cook-zine museum posts so much!! :D


I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.