Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Dirty South Cookbook #1 by Vanessa.

I was all set to hunker down on The Dirty South #1's collard greens, gravy, fake fried chicken with (s)mashed potatoes, when tragedy struck and I got smacked through the heart by the lazy-rainy bug.  So I pulled myself together and opted for Buttermilk Biscuits 'n' Gravy instead.  Warm bread smothered in creamy, noochie gravy can heal even the sickest of hearts.  Can I get an amen?

As you can see from the lovely illustration above, I have the first two editions of The Dirty South--#1 and #2 (apparently, there's a third one around, but I've never seen it).  Today I'm reporting on issue number one (the red one on the left), but if I have more time later this month, you may see some pink activity around here.  Also, being the plugged in vegan or vegan-friendly reader that you are, you're probably aware that Microcosm turned The Dirty South editions 1-3 into a book awhile back.  It's bound with another publication entitled Hot Damn & Hell Yea.

Anthropomorphic corn niblets can never be wrong, and typewriters make everything better.
I'm so amazing I actually have zine versions of these, PLUS a copy of the book.   Dazee got my originals from the author herself, when we all lived in New Orleans together. I can't remember how he found them or Vanessa, but I remember him bringing them home to me one after the other on random afternoons.  I pictured him as a vegan-zine-wonder-magnet, raking the bayous with his bare hands on the prowl for homemade recipe booklets, but he could have just bumped into her at an anarchist craft fair.  I dunno.

The biscuit on the bottom left was hit by a gravy bomb.  Don't feel bad for it, it never even saw the fork coming.

Most of the recipes in The Dirty South #1 are wheat-tastic, so I changed things up quite a bit to be able to snack on these delights.  And then while I was already making changes, I made some more. I added shredded Follow Your Heart and cayenne pepper.  OK and ground flax, too-- whatever.  You can rat me out to Vanessa on Facebook if you want, but I already told her I was writing this post, so it'll just make you look dumb.  Besides, I bet Vanessa would be OK with my changes.  It was that or lick the zine and report back on flavor compositions.

Cheesy XGFX Buttermilk Biscuits (adapted from Vanessa / The Dirty South #1)
I forgot to count how many this made, but it was around 12
  • 1 cup superfine brown rice flour
  • 1/2 cup sorghum flour
  • 1/2 cup gluten-free oat flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • pinch cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon ground flax meal
  • 1/3 cup finely grated Follow Your Heart yellow cheese
  • 1 heaping teaspoon nutritional yeast
  • 2 teaspoons unbleached granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup grapeseed oil
  • 2/3 cup unsweetened soymilk mixed with 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
  1. Preheat oven to 450F.
  2. Combine the dry ingredients and cheese.  Add the oil and soymilk and stir well.
  3. Drop by large spoonfuls onto a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake until the tops are golden and the centers are cooked through, about 15-20 minutes.
  4. Serve with gravy.  Eat, eat, eat.
These are gonna be my new go-to xgfx biscuits.  They came out with a great texture and were really light and flavorful, in fact Dazee just asked me if I'd made a deal with the devil to get these so good (his highest compliment).
  • Title: The Dirty South #1
  • Author:  Vanessa
  • Availability: Only the book form is currently available (ISBN 0-9770557-0-1).  You can get it from Food Fight and Microcosm
  • Size:   4.25″ x 8.5″ (half sized) / Tied with yarn and a bow.
  • Length: 22 pages plus a little extra page tucked in.
  • Collection:  21 recipes plus a helpful warning about hot oil
  • 5 Recipes to IntrigueJohnny Cakes, Corn Pone, Blackeye Pea Cakes, Sweet Potato Pudding, Chocolate Kahlua Cake
  • XGFXness: If you can xgxercise, you'll be OK, but most recipes contain gluten.
  • Zine Wiki: Not listed


    1. That looks like a warm snuggly blanket of vegan cheese wonderment on the bottom left biscuit. Plus I'm feeling quite smug because I actually have Hot Damn and Hell Yeah which I know is not quite the same but I have to get these moments when I can.

    2. Those buttermilk biscuits look amazing, will have to give them a go. Hopefully they work just as well with other vegan cheeses!

    3. i'm ALWAYS looking for a good xgfx recipe, so i will undoubtedly be making these!

    4. I love these zine reviews. Yummy homespun treats, too! I will no longer be a zine-a-phobe :)

    5. I love how you are getting down and dirty with these zines. The recipes and illustrations are killer.

    6. Your biscuits look fantastic. I'm also having lazy rainy day issues today, I'm currently attempting to motivate myself to cook the third recipe for my cookbook challenge but it's hard!!

    7. Oh yeaaaah! I love these recipes. I have the less-cool later combo version of this zine, but I love it!!

    8. Yum, those look so good! I have the combo version of the zine too :)

    9. This project is amazing, Kittee!

      I love the Dirty South zine (though I only have the book form--the yarn version is so cute), and I didn't know there was a vol. 2.

    10. You are so funny Kittee! Really!

      I want one of those gf biscuits with the gravy bomb. I'm wondering if you deliver?

    11. You think these'd work out with almond flour instead of the sorghum, and some other non-dairy milk? and leaving out the cheese/nut yeast? Man, I made that zine like ten years ago now, crazy!


    I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
    Spamming kills baby sea turtles.