Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Death by GasTank's Peanut Butter Crispie Cake

The first time I looked though GasTank, I stopped on page 73 and had to take an extra breath.  "Peanut Butter Crispie Cake," right there at the top of the page.  Basically you make peanut butter rice crispie stuff and instead of making squares with it, YOU PRESS IT INTO CAKE ROUNDS.  This idea changed my life, but it gets even better...After you pop these babies outta the cake pans you frost 'em with peanut butter buttercream like a double-layer cake and then pour chocolate glaze over the top.  My earth actually bobbed, I kid not-- best idea, EVER.

Featuring Breakfast, Lots of Desserts and Everything in-Between!  I'll say.
I will not lie; I haven't tried any recipes from this zine, because really--why bother?  When you've been handed the world and it only cost you a few bucks, you don't need another split pea soup recipe.

This zine contains a lot of comics copied from Lynda Barry, but I like the fork above best.
It goes like this:  I already have recipes for peanut butter rice crispie bars, peanut butter buttercream and chocolate ganache--so I use the ones I know, instead of the ones in this zine.  But they're almost the same as the ones offered here, so it's copacetic either way.  Especially since this makes it easier for me to share the dream.

Clockwise from top left:  peanut butter crispie crust, peanut butter buttercream, rocky road brownie and chocolate ganache. 

Somewhere in my past, I've already made a regular Peanut Butter Crispie double layer cake with peanut butter buttercream and chocolate glaze, so I wanted to do something a little different and with more class.  A showboat I could bring to my craft group to keep everyone up all night with sugar jingles.

I made a Peanut Butter Crispie Brownie Pie with peanut butter buttercream and chocolate ganache.  And sprinkles.  And I had one piece, and I may never sleep again.  Be warned.

Geographical Pie Chart.

First I made a peanut butter crispie crust by quartering this recipe, and I used organic corn syrup, because I had some laying around.  It works just fine with agave, tho, so use that if you have it.  I pressed it into an 8" springform pan and then popped it out to chill, I also may have mixed in some dandies and organic chocolate chips, but my lawyer has advised me not to discuss the details.

Then I made my standard brownie recipe, and I may have mixed dandies into that too.  Then I spread some peanut butter buttercream on top of the crust (coconut oil, organic powdered sugar and crunchy peanut butter all mixed together), popped the brownie on top of that and doused the whole thing with a nice thick-thick-thick ganache.  The sprinkles were for looks, but I'd leave them off next time, too crunchy for my liking.

This pie is delicious, but mind jabbing.

  • Title:  GasTank
  • AuthorGasTank
  • AvailabilityNot sure if this is current, but here's the contact email and here's her Etsy Shop (she has an all dessert zine, too).  Oh goodness.
  • Size 5 1/2 X 8 1/2 (vertical half-size letter) / Stapled 
  • Length: 118 pages
  • Collection100+
  • 5 Recipes to IntrigueYeast Buckwheat Cakes, Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars, Peanut Butter Candied Corn, and Russian Dressing.
  • XGFXness: There are lots of recipes for baked goods and breads, which all include wheat flour, but there are a lot of soups, stews and casseroles that are xgfx. 
  • Zine Wiki: Not listed


    1. Oh yes. Very delicious... Matt may not get the leftover piece in the fridge. I may get there first.

    2. Oh my goodness, this looks so rich and yummy and now I want some rice krispie treats.

    3. *SWOONS*
      My earth just bobbed too (and I think I wee'd a little).

    4. Oh my -- this gives me the sugar jingles just looking at it, but I think I like it! This is now on my "must make" list. Beautiful creation kittie!!

    5. OMG kittee. This looks like instant sugar coma. I'm already in love with it.

    6. I can't even articulate how amazing this sounds. It would definitely be worth the sugar high! Wow.

    7. Ridiculously amazing-looking. That's about all I can say about this...

    8. Peanut butter crispie brownie pie?? Wow! That's one seriously amazing looking dessert.

    9. Peanut Butter Crispie Brownie Pie with peanut butter buttercream and chocolate ganache. And sprinkles. OMG.

    10. I have to put in a plug for this zine. It is FANTASTIC, and I have made almost all of the recipes in it - this is something I NEVER do.
      I especially love the enchiladas, chuckwagon tortilla thingy (can't remember the name), and mushroom turnovers (a Thanksgiving staple at my house for several years running).

      SOOOOOO good - this is my favorite cook book/zine/whatever.


    I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
    Spamming kills baby sea turtles.