Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Emame Ethiopian Food Cart in My Mouth

A few months ago, a new all Ethiopian food cart opened near Dazee's office downtown. I'd heard mixed reviews about it, including sorta eh feedback from Dazee, but being the Ethiopian ho-bag that I am, I wanted to try it for myself. So when Dazee hit me up for a lunch date downtown today, I knew that's where I wanted to go. Actually, I was so determined to try this place out, that I was prepared to eat it all up with a plain fork to avoid the glutentastical injera I was sure to encounter. I am a true believer.

So anyway, me, Dazee and the lovely-super-nice owner/cook at Emame played a confusing little dance around the injera that included Dazee frantically going, "Where are you putting that?" and "Oh! Oh! Wait! Stop!" and me explaining how "I can't eat wheat and that injera contains wheat" and ending with this amazingly patient lady explaining to us she had gluten-free injera already made, because "some people cannot eat gluten."

...

It's a total nutball how super crazy gluten-free friendly Portland is. Gluten-free injera at a cart! Oh, I'll be coming back.

Emame Ethiopian Food Cart
SW 9th Avenue & SW Washington Street
Portland, OR 97205

For $6 we got a basic vegetarian combo which included: xgfx injera, ye'miser w'et (lentils in a spicy red gravy), gingery potatoes, cabbage with onions and ye'abesha gomen (collard greens) with carrots. Everything was incredibly oily and needed a touch of salt, but we were both very happy to devour it. We especially loved the lentils, they were really tasty and satisfying.

xo
kittee

7 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I am so glad you posted this. I have a lunch date on Thursday and I wasn't sure where to go. I love Ethiopian food too, but thought I'd be stuck with no injera. But now, Hoorah! I can't wait to try this cart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What luck!

    I'll have to go sometime. I want to try every Ethiopian place in Portland to determine my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ryan & I went to an Ethiopian restaurant on Sunday & I thought of you! Somehow, in my mind, you've become synonymous with vegan Ethiopian. Cooking some of your Ethiopian food this week, I'm excited!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I'm overwhelmed by all the PDX vegan food carts! Do they outnumber the citizens?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh hell yes! I don't know how I'm gonna fit all the eating into my Portland trip, but I'll have to stop by this place...and I'll be sure to bring a salt shaker!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I seriously want to MOVE to Portland, just for your food truck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe I missed this! DC has good Ethiopian, so I can't complain, but this looks crazy good!

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.