Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Sunny Green Crunchy Yum

Ok pals. I finally have the recipe for the crackers I posted about last week. I've made these three times now, and I think the recipe is pretty delicious. This makes quite a bit of crackers, and I'm happy to report that Dazee likes them a lot too. I'm thinking these would be a great way to get some veggies into your picky eaters, especially the littles, since they're packed with lots of calcium, protein and good fat too.

We made some spicy ones for spicy Michelle! Hers are sprinkled with a little finishing nooch and mandoline-thin jalapenos.

Sunny-Green Crunchy-Yum Crackers

Fills two 11”X11” dehydrator trays/makes a giant bowl of crackers.
What You Need:
  • 3 stalks celery, chopped in 2” pieces
  • 1 big bunch of kale, boned
  • ½ big bunch of cilantro plus ½ big bunch of parsley, or a combination of the two,(these could turn into amazing pesto crackers with the addition of some fresh basil)
  • 1 large or 2 small garlic cloves
  • ¼ cup flax-seed
  • 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
  • ¾ teaspoon salt
  • 4-5 cups raw hulled sunflower seeds, soaked for 1-3 hours and drained*
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
  • chipotle chili powder or thinly sliced jalapenos, optional
*Use the smaller amount of seeds if you have less greens, both amounts will yield the same number of crackers, but if you use the lesser amount,they'll be slightly thinner.
Also, make sure the greens are well washed to remove any clinging grit. While you want to get rid of any thick ribs on the kale, the stems on the herbs are fine, as long as they're in good shape.

What You Do:
Depending on how large the bowl on your food processor is, you may have to do this in several batches - just dump each batch into a large bowl as you go.
  1. In your food processor, pulverize the celery. Add in the kale, herbs and garlic and pulverize, periodically stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
  2. Add in the flax, nutritional yeast and salt and blend. Add in half of the sunflower seeds and puree until smooth, but still a little chunky.
  3. Transfer the contents of the food processor to a large bowl. Add the remaining seeds to the processor and pulverize until the seeds are almost smooth, but still have a bit of texture. Again, transfer to the giant bowl.
  4. Into the bowl of stuff, add in the lemon juice and vinegar, then stir really well until everything is mixed together. Taste for seasoning. Sprinkle in some chili powder if you want a little heat (you could always puree in a little jalapeno if you wanted these hotter—or we made a batch the other day with slivered jalapenos pressed into the tops of each cracker).
  5. Divide the mixture between two 11”X11” dehydrator trays, using either parchment or Teflon sheets. Pat and smooth the mixture out evenly on each tray, it should be about 1/3” thick.
  6. With a dull knife, score each tray into cracker-y shapes.
  7. Dehydrate until crispy all the way through, flipping the crackers over halfway through (use an extra tray to help you flip them in the same way you'd turn a cake out of a pan and onto a cooling rack.)
  8. Store in an airtight container and eat!

This batch came out of the ol' Excalibur this morning. So lovely warm from the dehydrator. You can score the crackers into any shape you want. I'm bad at carving little elephants into green sunflower puree, but you--I bet you can do it.



  1. Do you have tips for making these without a dehydrator?

  2. I haven't tried these without a dehydrator, but if I was going to I'd put these on parchment on a baking sheet at the lowest temp possible, with the stove cracked open. Once they dry enough to flip without breaking, I'd flip them. These took about 13 hours in a dehydrator, so you'd have to have them in your oven for a long time. If you try it, let us know how it works.
    xo kittee

  3. Wow, that is so cool! Love the beautiful green color! I don't have a dehydrator either but now I'm thinking I should get one. :-)

  4. Can't wait to try one! They're beautiful.

  5. These were yummy Kittee! Now I want to taste one of the spicy ones;)

  6. How purdy! I haven't used my dehydrator since... whoa, can't even remember. I like the triangular shapes really, green elephants might freak me out! :P

  7. I just added sunflower seeds to my shopping list so I can make these! They sound like the best raw crackers ever.

  8. They look so pretty! I love the ones with a slice of jalapeño on top.

  9. Hmmm, I think I'll go eat some now.

  10. These look and sound so healthy many people would probably faint at the thought! I'm not a big fan of celery, so I wonder if it would work with something else. Bell pepper is probably more watery though?

  11. @Maija-
    You can't taste the celery in these at all!


  12. awesome looking crackers. i agree with other commenters, maybe i need a dehydrater

  13. Thanks so much for posting the recipe for this. I'm definitely making these this week. Yay!

  14. I'm just about to make this. Yay! How long did you leave yours in the dehydrator roughly? Was it just a few hours, overnight or for a couple of days? I'm still new to dehydrating so I'm not really sure of the times for stuff like this.

    Thanks! :)

  15. Gauri Radha गौरी राधाJuly 1, 2011 at 7:10 PM

    These look so cute and colorful!


I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.