Thursday, November 11, 2010

Red Beans to the Rescue.

Dazee went to New Orleans last week, and all I got was a sack o' beans.

For Serious. Actually, I asked him to bring me home some red beans and un-salted Tony Chachere's (two things I can't get here in Oregon). But, I wasn't expecting him to return with 4 pounds of red beans, the Tony's, plus an additional 16 pounds of Camellias! Oh man--he lugged almost 20 pounds of beans back home!

Camellias are just the best, and their red beans make the creamiest beans in all the world. I don't even bother with regular kidneys, 'cuz they are just not the same. If you ever get a chance to go to New Orleans, make sure you pick up 4 pounds or so! You'll be glad you did, I promise.

And, if you're lucky enough to get to New Orleans between November 29th and December 29th, you might like to lend a hand to my friend Derek. He's leading a month long demonstration, to
draw attention to the atrocities of animal testing, and to remember those creatures who suffer each and every day inside research labs. You can read more about his project here. And if you can join him, or at least bring him vegan cupcakes, that would be nice.

Need
an easy red bean recipe?

I like to crockpot mine and let them cook all day. Put a mess of clean beans in the crock and cover with water, add in a chopped onion, two stalks of celery, a bay leaf and some chopped pepper (a mixture of poblano, bell and jalapeno are great). Throw in a long dash of liquid smoke, a squirt of good olive oil, some freshly minced garlic and a little chipotle chile powder, if you want some heat. Then let it rip on high heat. When the beans are super soft and creamy, add salt to taste and serve over rice with chopped parsley and Tabasco.

xo
kittee

This post is part of VeganMoFo 2010 - the Vegan Month of Food. Get more MoFo info by checking out VeganMoFo Headquarters Itn'l, where you can subscribe to a bunch of vegan blogs and ohh and ahh to your heart's content.

25 comments:

  1. How great! Your description of the beans is making me want to go to New Orleans right now. Thanks for sharing crockpot ideas I can always use a good recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a lucky lady cuz Camellias are all over Monroe! Yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you soak your beans before putting them in the crockpot?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I almost never ever ever soak. Sometimes, I will caramelize the onions and cook the trinity up before I add it, but usually not!

    xo
    kittee

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love cooking beans in crockpot. I call mine "the bean machine". Your beans look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I'm part of the no-soak club (if such a nerdy club existed)... but those look really saucy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You say 'for serious' too?! That's awesome! I thought I was the only one! :) (totally unrelated to food, I know, I just had to say!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your beans Kittee. They're the best!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's definitely what my luggage looks like whenever I go home to visit. I love portland, but I also love my camellias. I'm just glad they're got Tony's at all, though I should probably switch to salt free, the way i wave it around.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is one of my favourite of your recipes - easy and so delicious. Pounds of beans? Better than diamonds, I say.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm here to give yet another amen to this excellent recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i'm glad you're do'n beans some justice, kittee. i always feel thoee little guys get overlooked often. so awesome of Dazee to hook it up! now i'm gonna have to head up a manhunt for mah crockpot and get some smoky, garlicky beans on. w00t!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the easy recipe! I love beans :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an awesome thing to bring back! Your beans are my absolute favorite red beans! Mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am really moved by what your friend is doing..

    ... and wow.. that is a score of beans!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My mom totally loves red beans. There was a time when we had red beans 3 days in a row. She just loves it too much! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. My kids (one is an eight-year-old former bean-hater) say your red beans are the best. Buuut I've never been brave enough NOT to soak them before crock-potting. I think I can...I think I can.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kittee you know how to do beans rights! Have you ever used Cattle beans? what do they work best in?

    ReplyDelete
  19. i get this brand in Barbados when I go home I will pick up some
    My dad swears by it but i was like beans are beans
    my pressure cooker will smile when he sees these

    ReplyDelete
  20. dear kittee,
    i had my first day of vacation today! i did lots of things i wanted to do, like start to clean out my spice cupboard and tea drawers etc., and also, to catch up on your blogmofo!!! i did it!!! this one i super like, cause i know the spirit and power of these red beans, i do support the cause of bringing that many red beans home! you are a lucky lady! call a girl sometime, cause i am free but not for long woh woh woh vacation!

    love,
    michelle

    ReplyDelete
  21. Please don't put kidney beans into the crockpot, they emit a toxin when not heated past a certain temperature. Google bean poisoning. It happened to my mom before and she was really sick for a couple days.


    (The following procedure has been recommended by the PHLS (Public Health Laboratory Services, Colindale, U.K.) to render kidney, and other, beans safe for consumption:
    * Soak in water for at least 5 hours.
    * Pour away the water.
    * Boil briskly in fresh water for at least 10 minutes.
    * Undercooked beans may be more toxic than raw beans.)

    ReplyDelete
  22. hey anonymous!
    i'm sorry your mom got sick from eating undercooked red beans. however, if you follow the directions i posted: cook red beans on high heat in the crock for the entire day until they are super soft and creamy, there is absolutely NO WAY they will be undercooked.

    xo
    kittee

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Kittee--

    Thank you for the recomendation. I just returned to Philly from a road trip that included my beloved New Orleans, and I stuffed the car full of beans and tasty spicy products. Largely based on your recent reminder!

    Cheers

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.