Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Quinoa Cuties!

You know what these are, right? If you guessed wee baby Sea Monkeys you are wrong and also deranged, because this is Vegan Mofo, mofos.

I sprouted some quinoa and am trying to make some xgfx Rejuvelac. It's cold as doo-doo here, tho, so this may take a few extra days. Since there are zeroX10 warm corners of my house willing to lend a hand.
Those of you with wrinkly noses, will be happy to hear I have no intention of drinking the Rejuvelac. But, I do have big plans for it--fermented nut cheeze! Think Dr. Cow, but homemade and cheaper. Rejuvelac is usually made from sprouted wheat and rye berries. Once the grain sprouts, you leave it in clean water for a few days, and it becomes an active ferment with all sorts of good properties, including lotsa probiotics. I've read online that people have success using quinoa instead, so that's what I'm aiming for.

Quinoa sprouts fast! It basically sprouted during the first 24 hour soak, although it's a little hard to tell, because the little ring of germ around the quinoa can fake you out since it dislodges as the grain absorbs water.

We have a super-amazing library system here in Portland, and since I've had Alissa Cohen's newest book Raw Food for Everyone on my hold list for a long time, I'm currently in possession of a brand new copy in mint condition. I love new books! She has an entire chapter dedicated to fermented nut cheezes, so that's where my inspiration and recipes are coming from.

I also made some of her raw crackers. These are nice, because besides being xgfx, they are flax-free, too! I like flax just as much as the next vegan, but raw crackers that are made from 90 percent ground flax are not my favorite. These are made from a base of sun-dried tomatoes, veggies and soaked pumpkin and sunflower seeds. They're really tasty!

xo
kittee
This post is part of VeganMoFo 2010 - the Vegan Month of Food. Get more MoFo info by checking out VeganMoFo Headquarters Itn'l, where you can subscribe to a bunch of vegan blogs and ohh and ahh to your heart's content.

13 comments:

  1. all the raw crackers i've had have been overloaded with flax. i also love the stuff, but it can get overwhelming, fo 'sho. rock on with your library, kittee! ours is pretty decent, but not as fantastical as yours. huzzah on the new alissa cohen book, and huzzah for sprouted quinoa. i see their cute little tails! i love that quinoa sprouts fast, buckwheat does as well. it's nice see'n them getting started quicker than most sprouty thingz. fermented nut cheezes = yay! drinking the rejuvelac = kinda gross sounding. i'm most happyfaced you're not gonna chug it. w00t!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAH. EXACTLY. (my reaction to your truthful statement about flax crackers), it is just too much fat for a meal if everything is nut based. I make mine with a higher fruit ratio, turns out chewier!

    want to try the pumpkin version though and hope your rejuvelac turns out good!

    Amy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, those crackers sound really good! I hear ya on the flax-overkill.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fermented nut cheeses! I am so totally waiting for this with bated breath. You try it first!

    :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. We totes use quinoa rejuvelac at the raw restaurant where I work (because we have a gluten-free restaurant). It makes the bestest nut cheezes. Good luck with your QR!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are awesome! good luck with the sproutie babies

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those crackers look awesome! I have yet to find a "yay this is the one!" recipe as all of them are flax. I'll have to try those!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, that's good to know, maybe I will check out that book. I don't like too much flax and especially NOT buckwheat in my crackers. Thanks for the post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always thought rejuvelac was some fancy super food thing you had to buy for tons of money. Thank you for enlightening me. Not I see lots of frugally prepared fermented foods in my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The sprouted quinoa looks so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is fascinating! I'm dying to make my own nut cheese - I can't wait to hear how this all turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi! Really enjoyed your post... funny thing is, I'm sprouting quinoa for the first time as we speak too! Believe it of not, the appeal of homemade vegan cheeze has reached rural Provence (where I live!). I'll let you know how it goes - this Rejuvelac stuff is intriguing, but also a little intimidating! - I read somewhere that when it's finished fermenting, it looks, smells, and tastes gross. Is that how you know you've succeeded, I wonder?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like your blog! I’ve bookmarked it so that I can come back & read more in the future.

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.