Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Tastiest of Kale Chips

kale chips
Cheezie, crunchy, high calcium kale chips--well--really high calcium if you use tahini! Hopefully better pictures tomorrow.
  • 1 bunch dinosaur kale, cleaned and de-stemmed*
  • 3 tablespoons nut butter--tahini and peanut butter work well--even crunchy (you can reduce by a tablespoon if you want to cut fat). I am betting cashew and hazelnut would be heaven.
  • 4-5 tablespoons warm water
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons Bragg's
  • a big pinch chipotle chile powder
  • small pinch cayenne powder
  • squeeze of Sriracha/Rooster Sauce (optional for added shpicy)
  • 3 tablespoons, plus 1/4 cup nutritional yeast, divided
  • 1 medium carrot, coarsely grated
  • dehydrator or a big parchment lined cookie sheet.
  1. Gather your kale leaves up into an even bundle, and cut 'em into 2" pieces.
  2. In a small bowl place the nut butter and tablespoon by tablespoon mix in the warm water until smooth.
  3. Stir in the Bragg's, chili powders and 3 tablespoons of nutritional yeast until smooth.
  4. Stir in the grated carrot.
  5. In a giant bowl, or in batches if necessary, combine the kale with the nut butter sauce. Toss really well to cover every leaf with sauce and carrots. Then sprinkle in the remaining 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast, so that it is clinging to the leaves.
  6. Divide the kale evenly over two dehydrator trays (14" square) and dehydrate between 105-115F for 3 hours, rotating trays every thirty minutes or so and flipping the chips at least once, until dry and crispy. Alternatively, spread the kale over the large parchment covered cookie sheet and place in an oven on warm, or the lowest possible setting, until dry and crispy (try keeping the door open a few inches if you can). If using an oven, be sure to flip your kale over every half hour or so to dry on both sides. 
If you'd like more help on oven baking these, check out Amanda's advice on her blog In My Vegan Garden.

This is a super tasty basic recipe that is begging for different spice variations. I have been adding a really tasty roasted garlic chip that is nice, and I bet an Indian version with peanut butter, cumin and coriander would be so good--maybe even with a few raisins added?

*An easy way to de-stem dinosaur kale is to use a small serrated knife. Hold each kale leaf by the thick stem so the top of the leaf is pointing down. Take your knife and slice close to the stem in several downward strokes, so that the side of the leaf is cut off in one long piece. Spin the kale and repeat on the other side. The stems should remain intact and the leaves will be evenly bisected. Then stack the kale together and cut as directed.

23 comments:

  1. your kale chips look awesome & tasty to me, kittee! i just made some olive oil & sea salt ones the other day for the first time, they were yum, but i have a feeling i'm gonna dig your version a whole lot more! tahini, sriracha, chipotle....sign me up. thanks for the tip on de-stemming the kale - totally gonna try it out. i remember your video on how to cut and onion and ever since that's the way i've been do'n it. :)

    (i like the plants you have growing in the background, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm amazing looking kale chips! I love the tahini/siracha goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was already planning on making kale chips tomorrow..i'm going to try your recipe instead of my usual cheezy ones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh whoa, I love me some kale chips. I really dig the nut butter/sriracha idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love kale chips. This recipe must be heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! After looking at the pictures of your recipes, I hope you finish your cook book soon!! I've just recently started baking and I can't wait to try out your cupcakes. The just look divine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those deluxe kale chips! Hmm, I hope that they won't burn if I bake them in a low-temp oven (no dehydrator at my house).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm, I love kale chips! I'm totally trying this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. MMM those look delicious and I love kale chips. I like using balsamic vinegar it makes them sweet almost like salt and vinegar! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WHy am I so resistant to dehydratrors? I think I am afraid of them. But I wants one of those kale chips right now. Yes-indeedy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are like a wonderful gourmet version of my usual kale chips with olive oil and salt. LOVE the spices and tahini. Can't wait to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love kale chips! Your version looks especially good! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I tried a version of the kale chips yesterday and linked your post to my blog as a result. YUM YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh craaaaaap, WANT! We love kale chips, but these look extra amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Finally...a good excuse to buy a dehydrator! These look delicious!

    jessyburke88@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yummers! I love me some kale chips too! This is a great recipe variation and I like the addition of srirachs/rooster sauce for 'extra shpicy' :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have yet to try kale chips, I hear such good things about them!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Why have I never made kale chips? Why do you have cavalo nero in July? Do you know how jealous I am right now since that's pretty much my favouritest vegetable in the world and I have to wait a few months before it hits the shelves? That looks SO good.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I used almond butter because that is what I had on hand. Oh my! These are soooo tasty. I'm not sure I'm willing to share them with the kids. :P Thank you for the great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm definitely going to try this. Soon.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow those look so tasty! I have to round up some kale one of these days..

    ReplyDelete
  22. SO YUMMAY LOOKIN'

    going to make those asap!
    thanks for posting the recipe :)

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
  23. that sounds like a serious kale chip recipe. me gusta.

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.