Thursday, November 12, 2009

No Ethics in my Futomaki.

cutebirds
This futomaki was lunch just now. Not traditional, maybe not even ethical, but quick, nutritious and tasty--I just licked my plate. Oh, not to mention it was all gluten-free ta-boot. Sushi doesn't have to take hours, this took me about 12 minutes to whip up from start to finish with leftovers and a few pantry staples, and I couldn't even be bothered to find my rolling mat.
futomaki
Rice
First, I had leftover brown jasmine rice in the fridge. I heated it up in a sauce pan with a tiny bit of water, a good shake of rice vinegar, a shake of salt and a short squirt of agave. When it was hot and had absorbed the liquids, I set it aside.

Fillings
I was lucky enough to have fresh shiitake in the fridge and a few other bits of odd produce: tat soi from yesterday's market, an old but eternally young baby zucchini, avocado, and packaged teriyaki baked tofu.

The zucchini, avocado, and tofu were cut into long slivers. The shiitake were thickly sliced and cooked over high heat with a bit of wheat free tamari and a splash of toasted sesame oil until they released liquid and browned in spots. The tat soi was quickly steamed with a splash of rice vinegar, a dash of tamari and a tiny bit of agave.

Staples
I try to keep organic nori seaweed, wheat-free tamari and saccharin-free pickled ginger (fake sugar is the worst) on hand for sushi opportunities.
futomaki
I simply pressed a layer of rice over most of a sheet of pre-toasted nori, then layed out all the fillings and rolled as tightly as possible.

If you don't have any wasabi laying around (I didn't), a little squirt of chili paste in some soy sauce is a nice combo for dipping. If you have leftover sweet potato, or carrots, those would be great in here too.

xo
kittee

25 comments:

  1. oh wow! this looks incredible...and I believe you when you say you licked your plate! Yum :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job! I've been eating a lot of jasmine rice, veggies, and tofu wrapped in rice paper lately. I really want to like sushi--it would make me so much classier--but nori makes me gag and run away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! Jasmine rice sounds like a fragrant and interesting alternative in sushi. These look vunderbar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like the perfect quick meal. Delicious and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks GREAT! I love the addition of shiitake -- would never have thought to add that.

    And I love that you licked your plate :)

    Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  6. Again: we'll be showing up in your neighborhood, begging for food. You won't know what to do, when we move into your kitchen to "help." You'll be OK. Just prepare in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the jasmine rice to sushi rice crossover.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is very interesting for me to read the post. Thanx for it. I like such topics and everything that is connected to them. I definitely want to read more soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These rolls are sooo cute!

    I adore your recipes and your veggie blog is a wonderful read. Care to join a veggie food-fight hosted by me and shesimmers.com and submit a fennel recipe? More details: http://www.bouchonfor2.com/beet-n-squash-you/

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sushi looks so filling and delicious! Wow. I can't want to make something like this. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These sushi looks delicious!
    Why did you wrote that there is no ethics in them? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just posted a giveaway on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is perfect for my picnics - easy to make, nutritious and not at all expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks so delicious! I wish I had some right now. It's been a long time since I've had sushi - and even longer since I've made my own!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very lovely!
    But..
    Is that sushci or japanese food?
    I think that is korean food!
    Just call that "kimbob"
    I am from s.korea!
    Anyway,this post is good to see!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm planning on makin' sushi for a party next weekend, and I was considering subbing out brown rice and agave for white sushi rice and sugar (like I usually use). Does the brown rice get sticky? Is there a secret?

    ReplyDelete
  17. That looks DELICIOUS :) But..why isn't it ethical? :s

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is amazing. I've been craving sushi lately and now I want it even more.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've named you as a winner of a 'Kreativ Blogger' award. Please check out my blog for details!
    http://woollove-functional-fiberart.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.