Wednesday, October 21, 2009

I pucker for injera.

I've been meaning to make some preserved lemon or lemon pickle for a few weeks now. I keep buying organic lemons and either zesting them for other recipes, or just letting them dust-up and harden on the counter. Two days ago, however, I ran into Limbo because a little bird informed me they sell smoked salt, and I wanted to stock my Louisiana arsenal for some good recipe devising. Lo, besides the longest wall stuffed with jars of every herb and spice imaginable, there was also a bunch of cheap and local organic produce to procure. Including a barrel-o'- lemons for ten cents each. Yes ma'am, organic lemons for ten cents each; a bargain so steep I could not avert my eyes. So of course being the glutton I am, I purchased a sackful, skipped on outta there for the dog park and immediately abandoned 'em to a lonely corner once I got home.
The lemons are cloudy due to tons of salt, necessary to keep evil things from growing up in there.

But this morn', I woke determined not to let those cheap fruits go to waste, and the result of my mental perseverance stands as evidence in a murky pool of liquid on the left side of the photos you see before you.
Once I started having fun with the lemons and the lovely quart sized Mason jar, I didn't want to stop. So I also whipped up what I hope will be the beginning of some oat flour sourdough starter, which if all goes well, will be manipulated into XgfX injera. Please, if anyone has suggestions for wheat, barley or rye free starters, lemme know quick. I am ashamedly inexperienced in the starter business department; my determination comes solely from a deep burning desire to eat Ethiopian food without a fork. I am bad at starters, but good at Ethiopian eating.
The lemons were stuffed into a jar with sea salt, cut into hinged quarters, rubbed with more sea salt and then covered with freshly squeezed lemon juice. The vapid starter was begun with 1/2 cup oat flour mixed with 1/2 cup warm water and mixed well to incorporate homogeneously.


P.S. Megan is getting gluten filled Primal Strip #12. Only one more XgfX chew stick left (but several regular ones still in stock).


  1. I don't know anything about preserving lemons or making XgfX starter but I do know a crazy bargain when I see one. Organic lemons for ten cents? I'd buy a bagful of those.

  2. hey kittee this is dominic,
    in hawai'i, where i spent small kid time, what you did with the lemons is called Roof Lemons cuz then you put the jars on yr roof till laterz.

  3. That always happens with me too! I buy lemons and forget about them. I can't wait to see this gluten free injera.

  4. I am watching this starter business with great interest. I don't know anything about non-gluten starters. My one general word of advice from Peter Reinhart testing: If you have trouble with unwanted things growing in your starter, use pineapple juice as the liquid for the first few days, and then switch over to water, as the juice's acidity is right for the organisms you want, and wrong for those you don't. Once they get their colony established, you can change to water and they'll be fine.

  5. You could start with a tiny amount of regular wheat or rye starter and them feed it with gf flour and, so to speak, thin the gluten out. If you do this often enough your starter will be gluten free after a couple of feedings. And it is the easies method, I think.

  6. Oh I just found this link. It's about how to make a starter from brown rice flour:

  7. That jar reminds me of my grandma. She used to do all of her canning in similar ones. Ahh, the comforts of home!

  8. Oh, and I love preserved lemons. MMMMM.

  9. Injera is usually made from teff flour. It might be hard to find depending on where you live but Whole Foods and the like might be a good bet. It's the world's smallest grain! I'm not sure about its gluten content though.

  10. Ooo, I'm excited to see your GF injera experiments. I have a bag of teff that I would love to make injera with, but I'm sortof afrad of sacrificing it to the GF gods, so a recipe would be good! :) -Eve

  11. You are the queen of injera! I hope your experiments are a success!

  12. i have the same problem with letting lemons go. i must try this whole preserving business.

  13. I got my Primal Strip -thanks Kittee!


I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.