Sunday, October 4, 2009

Interview Leftovers

veganmofo
Not the sunniest of afternoons, but I did my best.
leftovers
Clockwise from top left:
Saag
I usually whip saag outta whatever mild greens are at hand. This was made from local beet greens and rainbow chard. I generally throw clean greens into a pot with a clove or two of garlic, a jalapeno pepper and a chunk of ginger. Then I steam it until the ginger and garlic are soft and puree it in the food processor with some olive oil and fresh cilantro. Then in the same pan, fry a bit of cumin seeds, ground cumin and ground coriander. Add the puree, mix, season to taste with salt and heat through.

Roasted Beets
Coarsely chopped peeled beets wrapped in tin foil with a bit of salt and a tiny bit of olive oil and baked till soft (@400F).

Mango Pickle
Care of Michelle, from World Vegetarian. I consider myself very lucky, indeed. This shit is excellent, and not too spicy really. Don't be afraid, it is very, very delicious.

Dal and Brown Rice
The dal was made from red lentils (masoor dal), boiled 'till soft in water with grated ginger and turmeric. When it softened, I threw in a peeled and chopped yellow tomato and a pinch of cayenne pepper. In a separate pan, I fried in a little oil: cumin seeds, ground cumin, ground coriander and curry leaves. I scraped the spices into the soft dal and added salt to taste.

xo
kittee

12 comments:

  1. oh roasted beets, how i love thee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I'd love to try all those dishes together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum! That saag sounds so good and so easy. I am going to have to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. everything looks super stellar, kittee! i love how easy peasy you make it all sound. mango pickle sounds super interesting & something i'd like to try. indian yumminesses are some of my absolute favorites and so are roasted beets. hells yeah! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The saag looks divine! I'm such a sucker for greens of any sort.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I do anything for mango pickle. I'd eat that stuff spoon for spoon with some rice, though I usually add a hefty portion atop a chana masala.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i definitely want that mango. ASAP!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi... Looking ways to market your blog? try this: http://bit.ly/instantvisitors

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks delicious - hearty, spicy and yum!

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.