Monday, October 19, 2009

Busy with the Balls.

veganmofoseventies
I don't know what it is with The MoFo, but it sure fills me with ball making spirit.
tofuballstwo
Today I thought I'd put on a touch of lipstick and reunite with Louise Hagler's, Tofu Cookery, one of the first cookbooks I purchased when I went vegan in 1936. Louise Hagler is one of our true Vegan Matriarchs, she hails from the famed Farm commune in Summertown, TN and is a co-author of my very favorite-- The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook. Tofu Cookery is a must have for anyone who experiences a tofu rut, or wants to be more creative with tofu--it's packed with really unique, tasty and comforting recipes. My favorites include: the creamy dip chapter, Barbequed Tofu, Tofu Pot Pie, Chinese Sweet and Sour Balls (more balls!), Chiliquiles and Carrot Cake. In 2008, Tofu Cookery was revamped with a 25th anniversary addition, so the copy you purchase, will be even better than the yellowed and ancient copy I have.
tofuballs
Today's Tofu Spaghetti Balls (scroll down for the recipe) will be paired with my favorite XgfX pasta and vegetable-y tomato sauce for dinner. My only changes to the recipe were leaving out the mustard powder and using an Italian gluten-free breadcrumb, a little cayenne for heat, and baking the balls at 425F on oiled parchment, instead of frying them in oil.
bakedballs
Oh, how these baked balls filled my apartment with the smell of greatness. I only hope I can stop snackin' on 'em, so there's some left for supper.

xo
kittee

P.S.
JennyWren, is getting XgfX Primal Strip #10. Please let me know in the comments if you want #11.

19 comments:

  1. I live in Nashville and am exceptionally lucky to have access to tofu and yogurt from the farm!! we go to unity fest out there..i hope you are lucky enough to get to try farm soy tofu some time. it's by far the best i've ever had :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to see if my library has that book! We have been vegetarian/vegan for a long time, but have not experimented much with tofu at all! I am ashamed ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tofu Cookery Ate My Balls!

    yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Louise Hagler and Tofu Cookery! Old School Veganism forever! My favorite is probably the Korean BBQ Tofu - can't remember if it is in the old one, but it is the new one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice chunky balls! And lipstick!? Whoa, I need to check out this book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. your balls look awesome, kittee! we had ourselves some balls this evening, too! mmmmmmmmmmm! i have been feeling like we've been in a bit of a 'fu rut lately - i am fo 'sho adding tofu cookery to my cookbook wishlist. we are lucky to get local organic 'fu here and i'd love to use more of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want those balls and I want that primal strip!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm those look delicious! I love a good vegan meatball.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmm yummy looking spaghetti balls. I'm making these!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those balls are so ballin'--makes me want some spaghetti and balls right now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are, undoubtedly, the "Mastress of the Balls".

    ReplyDelete
  12. I won this book too :) Found it at a thrift store. LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. beautiful! i just found a copy of this book in my coffee table when i moved. no clue where she came from, but i sure am happy now. thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmm those spaghetti balls look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The New Farm is my fave too. I'll have to put Tofu Cookery on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks you for the gorgeous post and your kind words about my books and recipes. I love the changes you made to the Tofu Spaghetti Balls. My updated version of this recipe in the 25th Anniversary Edition of Tofu Cookery suggests using ground flax seed for a binder and oven frying instead of on the stovetop to reduce calories and oil.
    Although I have been at this for a long time, I am working on a new generation vegan cookbook that will be conscious of not only healthfulness, taste, and sustainability but also cost. A sample is at http://blog.louisehagler.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think it's time I updated to the new addition. Or wait for Louise's new cookbook. Or both!

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.