Friday, October 9, 2009

Ball II

veganmofobannertwo
I am revisiting this post, because dazee's parents arrived today, and I wanted to make them a ball. You know, something nice to serve on a platter with crunchy, flax-y crackers and thinly sliced sections of my favorite apple, The Honey Crisp.

In a moment of grown up responsible decision making, I decided to ix-nay the whole "port cheese" concept, and go with plan B, which was less likely to be a giant nut ball disaster. First off, Brazil nuts are really expensive. I bought a 10oz bag and it came close to $9, far too many bills to chuck into the ol' compost tub, if my plan failed. Secondly, I tend to be overly experimental when I want to impress, especially when I should just chill and play it safe. The dilemma was I wanted to stir up the ball a bit. No boring balls. No ball repeats.
insideball
Mr. Ball II in his birthday suit.

My compromise was to modify the original ball, but to steer towards a roasty-smoky angle instead. I followed the same ball recipe, but used:
  • 10 oz Brazil nuts
  • 4 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 medium sweet red pepper, roasted and peeled (broil until dark brown and bubbly on all sides, cover to steam for 10 minutes, slip off skin)
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • dash liquid smoke
  • 1/8-1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 4 cloves of roasted garlic
roastedball
This ball is a bit ugly.

Even though the ball is a bit on the ugly side, it was really delicious. I liked it even better than ball #1. In fact, I just spread some leftovers onto a warmed brown rice tortilla and ate it with more slices of those sweet, crispy and heavenly apples.

My only change for ball III will be to go against the recipe directions about rolling the ball in herbs first and then baking it. I've noticed once the ball is baked, the herbs dull from the heat and lose their zest. However, after the ball is baked, the exterior dries out a bit and chopped herbs would probably not stick. So when there is a next time, I shall bake The Thing sans herbs, then re-mash it to homogenize the drier outside with the soft inside, then re-roll in chopped herbs for taste and presentation.

I am taking a ball break for awhile. Balls are a good time, but too fattening for regular fare.

xo
kittee

P.S. As far as the Primal Strips go, Kilax is getting #4 because she has appealed to my southern side by stealthily referring to good ol' Stonewall's Jerquee, pride o' Lousiana. I have more, I have a lot more, so lemme know if you want one.

P.P.S. Check out gothtober.com, especially day #9, made by my good, good friends Gailiunicide.

15 comments:

  1. I love your ball experiments. I'm so gonna try these when I get home. Brazil nuts are rather cheap in Spain in comparison to the UK.
    Asking you for a primal strip sounds like a request for some erotic exotic liberating of garments whilst beating a drum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love herby cheezy balls of goodness! This looks AWESOME! Thanks for all your tips and suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your, uh, ball, looks delicious. :3

    Primal strip plz! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can have too much ball action. But that one looks mighty-fine nevertheless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. girl, you've got BALLS!
    I want to make a ball. Cheese balls used to be very exciting to me as a youngster. There was some relative who used to bring the cheese ball to thanksgiving, and I guess I was always a big piggee wand would eat practically the whole thing... and she thought this was very rude of me. Well, damn, lady! Don't go bringing a tasty cheeseball and then blame me for wanting to eat it! Am i right? xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. the flavors of this ball are similar to the flavors i used for one of the fakin balls! yum!

    hope this weekend goes well!

    love,
    michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. I *love* Honey Crisp apples! They are SO freaking amazing...AND they are the state fruit of my state (MN) AND they were "created" here at the U of MN arboretum, AND MN grows the most of them. We might not have the best weather, but we do produce might good apples :-)

    I would love to try a primal strip! I have never had them before, but always wanted to try!

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Why, what big balls you have!" Exclaimed little red riding hood to grandma, as she watched her grandma rolling her balls ready to go into the oven.

    Mmm, I'd still love to try a Primal strip! :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm loving the ball experiments--the roasted pepper and smoked paprika sound fabulously good. I might need a ball or two of my own :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What big balls you have, Kittee! Very impressive balls indeed. I so know what you mean about being overly experimental when you want to impress!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never made balls with Brazil nuts so I've gotta try that. I love the idea of herby, smoky balls. Mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Honey crisp are my favorite too, wish we could have them all year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the ball experiments...might need to try one when the holidays come around. You know, when people are eating everything and it'll be easier to sneak by the omnis!
    I would love to try the Texas BBQ primal strip. Because I am a heathen for living in Texas and not partaking in the weekly serving required by Texas state law. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow! I won! Yay! :) I will look for your email so I can send you my addy :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.