Sunday, April 19, 2009

Review: Vegetarian Time's Cashew Goat Cheeze

Vegetarian Times Cashew Goat Cheeze
For lack of inspiration, I gave up on Vegetarian Times some time ago, but when I saw this thread on the PPK, I knew I needed to get a copy of this month's April edition for a little eyeball peepsie. Rochelle Palermo's four page spread on vegan homemade nut cheezes got me curious to try her Pepper-Crusted Cashew Goat Cheese (p. 50). While I'm not a huge vegan cheeze heavy hitter, I do enjoy the occasional Follow Your Heart splurge, and I've been known to get all up in one of Joanne Stepaniak's agar loaves, so this seemed like a natural nut cheeze progression.
Vegetarian Times Cashew Goat Cheeze
I have mixed feelings about the finished cheeze. While the recipe is straightforward and easy to follow, the cheeze takes a ton of down time to prepare and is super-fatty-fattastic, it also sorta tastes like a hummus log (c). It's definitely not going to be a staple here at the Berns Kerns Ranch, but with some tweakage (I'd like to reduce the lemon juice and up the salt) it could be nice for a brunch, cocktail party or any impress the neighbors/in-laws get together. I can't compare this to goat cheese, since I've never had it, but I can say it has a nice texture, was easy to roll in cracked pepper and chopped parsley and would be nice spread on a cracker with a tasty beverage. If you're into that sorta thing.

You can get a free copy of this issue here and I've read there are other recipes from this issue up on Recipezaar and Livejournal.

xo
kittee

17 comments:

  1. I just bought that issue yesterday for the same reason! I'm such a fake cheese whore....I can't wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm SO curious about this! I think I'm going to make it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really good - but saying that, I know that with vegan cheese especially, appearances can be deceptive...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks pretty. I was lacto-ovo for 17 years before going vegan, and I loved goat cheese. I need to see if I can find that recipe over here (doubt they'll be sending me a free issue here...but I will go check out the link).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just discovered your blog and I love it! Thanks for all the cool recipes and stylish flair you bring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for trying it out! ;) Sounds interesting ... but I'm glad you spend the money on cashews, rather than me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm a new cashew cheeze fan, after a bout with some dr. cow... this sounds good in theory, but not if it tastes like hummus. because i can easily (and cheaply) make hummus that tastes like hummus.

    it still looks awesome though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must try this. I'm determined to make myself the perfect nut-based cheese. If successful, I promise to share.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm...I kinda loved goat cheese back in the day, so I'd be wary to try a vegan version, but maybe just maybe it could make me happy when I miss the tartness of the goatastic cheese? Your picture of it is beautiful at least!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I gave up of VT some time ago to for the same reason..but I might have to pick up this issue to see what this vegan nut cheese article is about.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting - I've been wondering about the VT recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never really been thrilled with any vegan cheese recipes I've tried. Yours looks really pretty, tho!

    Also, I don't know why I continue to subscribe to VT. I never find anything in there I want to make. But I got such a good deal it was hard to turn down.

    ReplyDelete
  13. hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, Kittee! You might want to try this Chad Sarno recipe:
    http://www.rawchef.com/products-br-1.php

    I met him at the vegan Chef conferences (Vegawakening) and tasted his cashew cheeses. Fran Costigan and I thought they were super-rich, so a little goes a long way, but it was definitely delicious!

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.