Wednesday, January 21, 2009

W.I.P. Wednesday: Kumquats and Legwarmers

IMG_8048
When we sold our house, I gave away our little kumquat tree, covered with about 20 almost ripe 'quats. Thanks to my friend Stephanie, I have about a gallon or more of sweet and sour ripe kumquats that I am planning on turning into preserves. She picked them herself, straight off a tree at her parents' in Hammond, LA. If you've never had a kumquat before, they're pretty unusual. First, you pop them in your mouth whole, you can either swallow the seeds or spit them out. Unlike most citrus, the peel of a 'quat is sweet, and the insides are tart--very much like a natural version of a Sweet Tart, if you're familiar with that candy. Sometimes you'll get a really delicious sweet one, but usually, they're just a little sweet with a whole lot of tart, that's why I think they'll be especially good preserved with a bunch of extra sugar added.

Another orange project in the works:
IMG_8052
I found a cute pair of toddler cords at Thrift City, and I'm turning them into a pair of fitted legwarmers. I love the detail on the bottom. I just cut them from the pants, sewed in some elastic, and am sewing on a little piece of patterned polyester over the band at the top. I may embroider a bit on the leg too, we'll see how this evolves...

xo
kittee

19 comments:

  1. Make kumquat-ade! I like to mash the whole fruit with sugar before adding water, so you get the essential oil goodness from the peels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've always wondered how you were supposed to eat kumquats. maybe they'd be good in a tart?

    and i love those legwarmers! so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. fitted legwarmers = the best, kittee! i really like the detail on the bottom, too - especially the little ruffles!

    i haven't had kumquats in years and now i really want to have some! think i may have to stop by our natural food store and see if they have any. i'm keeping my fingers crossed that they do, and i'm looking forward to your kumquat preserves if you make some! yummmm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. No the Sleestack did not like it. He is generally open-minded but was a sad Sleesie in front of a plate of janky lime seitan. Ick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are a couple of loquat and kumquat trees in our neighborhood.. I should check and see if the fruit is ripe yet!

    The legwarmers are an awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never had Kumquats before. I feel left out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cuuuute leg warmers! I love the bottoms of them. And you've convinced me to grab a few kumquats at the international farmers market next time I go. Kumquat pie? Maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never had a kumquat. I'll have to look for them at the grocery store. I'm curious to see how your legwarmers turn out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kittttteeee! I love kumquats! Ok, I think I love saying their name more than eating them. One summer, I wrote a daily haiku about kumquats (the word kumquat actually replaced other words, but whatever!).
    What a great W.I.P. project - I can't wait to see 'em finished!

    ReplyDelete
  10. but could you wear kumquats as legwarmers?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are so cute! I always wonder what to do with kumquats... they're so tiny and delish!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i tried a kumquat once, and spat it out because it was so tart. i didn't know you could eat the peel! i also like the idea of kumquat ade. hell, the word is awesome because it sounds so adorably vulgar...kumquat. use it in a sentence: he wouldn't stop staring at my titties, so i kicked him right in the kumquats.

    those are nice leg warmers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Legwarmers are the best! BTW, my Papa Tofu arrived today! It's so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love kumquats and legwarmers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Look at this candied fruit, including kumquats:

    from elyse sewell's LJ

    -misterkrista

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never seen so many kumquats in one place before! Man, am I jealous.

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.