Amanda turned this same recipe into a mini-cake earlier in the week. Hers is also heartbreaking in pink and red and with twizzlers ta boot! I would run away with Amanda's kake too, but since it's a mini version, I don't want to cause any problems with the law.
|So chicito, right?|
Here's the recipe:
- 3 cups unbleached white flour
- 1 3/4 cups unbleached granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups vanilla or plain non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup black currant cordial or liquer (you can use it to make some snakebites.)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon strawberry extract
- 1/4 cup strawberry spread (seedless jam)
- pink food coloring paste--to desired color (you can get Wilton brand in the cake section of craft stores)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour two 8" cake pans (these stick sometimes, so you might want to put some parchment circles on the bottom of each pan).
- Mix together the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the wet ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and beat well until smooth (you can use an electric mixer if you like).
- Divide the batter evenly between the two pans.
- Check for done after 30-45 minutes with a toothpick. It should come clean when you poke it into the very center of each cake. (but watch closely so it doesn't brown too much.)
- Let cool ten minutes, flip to wire racks and cool completely. If you don't know exactly how to get them out of the pans, check out the kitteekake tutorial for the how-tos.
Make a strawberry top by rolling out cheap vegan gumdrops on a surface dusted with powedered sugar and cutting into desired shapes.