Sunday, January 25, 2009

Strawberry Krista Kake

Look what Misterkrista has done with the Strawberry Kake from Pakupaku! I am really wowed by this, the colors are dynamite together (the turquoise, green and red really are a crazy good combination), but the gumdrop strawberry is hurting my head with so much love. I proposed earlier this afternoon, and we'll be having a private ceremony later this week (thanks for asking).

Amanda turned this same recipe into a mini-cake earlier in the week. Hers is also heartbreaking in pink and red and with twizzlers ta boot! I would run away with Amanda's kake too, but since it's a mini version, I don't want to cause any problems with the law.
So chicito, right?

Here's the recipe:
Dry Ingredients:

  • 3 cups unbleached white flour
  • 1 3/4 cups unbleached granulated sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
Wet Ingredients:

  • 1 3/4 cups vanilla or plain non-dairy milk
  • 1/4 cup black currant cordial or liquer (you can use it to make some snakebites.)
  • 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 2/3 cup canola oil
  • 1 tablespoon strawberry extract
  • 1/4 cup strawberry spread (seedless jam)
  • pink food coloring paste--to desired color (you can get Wilton brand in the cake section of craft stores)
What You Do:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour two 8" cake pans (these stick sometimes, so you might want to put some parchment circles on the bottom of each pan).
  2. Mix together the dry ingredients.
  3. In a separate bowl, mix together the wet ingredients.
  4. Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and beat well until smooth (you can use an electric mixer if you like).
  5. Divide the batter evenly between the two pans.
  6. Check for done after 30-45 minutes with a toothpick. It should come clean when you poke it into the very center of each cake. (but watch closely so it doesn't brown too much.)
  7. Let cool ten minutes, flip to wire racks and cool completely. If you don't know exactly how to get them out of the pans, check out the kitteekake tutorial for the how-tos.
I cut each cake in half to make four and filled each layer with a very generous amount of strawberry spread. Make sure to keep a 3/4" border unfilled, so the filling doesn't squish out when you sandwich the layers. Then, I frost with a plain buttercream flavored with more black currant cordial and strawberry extract. Slowly add just enough soymilk to get a spreading consistency--and of course coloring. You have to have color.

Make a strawberry top by rolling out cheap vegan gumdrops on a surface dusted with powedered sugar and cutting into desired shapes.



  1. Too cute! I wish you and Gumdrop Strawberry a lifetime of happiness together! :)

  2. I need a kittee kake to celebrate the end of January.

  3. You're killing me with cute here, Kittee! What the helllooo! That is just so adorable, and I'm trying to be all "no treats for a while" here and then you show me this too adorable to eat goodness...
    I'm so weak.
    And you better stay away from that mini, you don't want to have any problems with the law!

  4. Cute overload! I see why you're in love. Thanks for the recipe. I'll strive to be worthy ;-).

  5. Love those cakes. I"ve had my eye on your strawberry cake for awhile now... oh I can hardly resist not going home and making it tonight! (though I do have the perfect occassion in mind coming very soon)

  6. So adorable! The only circumstances under which I love food with a face!!

  7. OMG! Not that I wanna go stealing your man or anything, but if you weren't hooking up with strawberry kake, I would so hit that.

  8. kittee! So kool!

    I love that other strawberry kake. I love turquoise and red together!

  9. Too precious, both of them. :)

  10. I've also been eyeing that strawb cake. Those are way too cute!

  11. YOU'RE CHEATING ON ME?! Sounds like I need to make the world's largest strawberry kittee cake!

  12. aww, that is such a cute baby cake!!

  13. It's my B-day tomorrow. This might just be my cake. LOVE it :)

  14. those cakes look great! i especially love the strawberry face!

  15. This cake makes me remind when I was a child and I used to watch strawberry shortcake.It was amazing.


I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.