Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Birthday Dinner for Noy.

Thanks for all those wacky guesses yesterday, y'all are so zesty with your space cake and sweet bean paste theories. The winner is Liv, 'cuz she first guessed chocolate cherry mochi, and indeed they were beet colored daifuku (mochi) stuffed with chocolate covered cherries! Here's your five seconds of fame, Liv. Wooooot.

If you have access to a microwave, daifuku are really easy to make. First I bought a bag of frozen pitted organic cherries, dipped each one in a chocolate ganache and stuck them in the freezer to set (only use a tiny bit of milk). Then I followed the directions I posted from my previous ichigo daifuku experience, except I made 1.5 the amount and used a few tablespoons of beet juice for color, in place of some of the water.

These delicious concoctions were made for our friend Noy, since yesterday was her birthday, and we had a small celebration with lots of good Japanese food. I came home from the store around 2PM and only had a few hours to put everything together. The menu was tight: steamed organic edamame, tofu balls from Louise Hagler's Tofu Cookery dipped in a sweet chili sauce, salad with pea shoots and the most amazing dressing, miso soup with local fresh shiitake, brown rice futomaki and the chocolate cherry daifuku bombs served with coconut basil sorbet for dessert. Somewhere along the way, I also made some roasted teriyaki eggplant, but didn't serve it since I forgot to save rice (I was going to make nigiri with it).

If you like the standard Japanese restaurant salad dressing then you should definitely make the recipe I linked to above: miso, fresh ginger, carrots and sesame oil all whirled up together. It's a keeper and since the recipe made a lot, I'll be enjoying it all week.

The brown rice futomaki were stuffed with avocado, shiitake, spinach, cucumbers, and marinated and fried tofu (beet juice, sesame oil, soy sauce and rice vinegar), and the rice was seasoned with your basic salt, rice vinegar and sugar combo.

Pantry items used: dried shiitake, mochiko and potato starch.


  1. mmmm, i love Japanese food!

    i love that Japanese restaurant salad dressing, thanks for the link!

  2. The fried tofu is crazy! I've made that Mark Bittman Japanese dressing and it is the best.

    And the mochi are further proof that you are a genius.

  3. Nice :)

    I have never eaten mochi, but it looks delicious!

  4. Cool! I would never even think to use mochi like that! But it sounds great...also, I love how the fried tofu is pink!

  5. Amazing! Can we make it Vegan YEFO so you can keep posting whole bunches all year???? It is kickass.

  6. Ha, I never would have guessed it! That pink tofu needs to make its way to my belly!

  7. I am drooling all over my keyboard, fabulous as usual.

  8. I love this idea for mochi! I miss mochi; I don't know why I haven't made it in such a long time. This chocolate-cherry business is the perfect excuse - thanks!

  9. Everything looks so delicious. I'm especially loving the cream cheese cinnamon rolls below. Those are rockin'!

  10. have i ever told you how excited i am for you to move here so i can have a chance to come over to your house and steal your food?

  11. hey kittee, it's jewbacca from PPK. your blog is really amazing and i love your arts/crafts on etsy. i'm a broke, but if i had money to burn, you can bet yo sweet tuchus that i'd be a really good customer. i'm also an artist, but don't have the ambition to have my own etsy store--someday maybe. do you facebook?
    check me out if you'd like: jennifer fish molica

  12. You are so freaking talented! Everything sounds & looks so amazing. I need to see if I can find me some mochiko. I've really wanted to try to make my own mochi, but have a hard time finding it...


I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.