Thursday, October 16, 2008

Lost in the Supermarket.


Today class, I'd like to discuss the new cookbook, Lost in the Supermarket: an Indie Rock Cookbook, by Kay Bozich Owens and Lynn Owens, published by Soft Skull Press. If you did your homework last night, you'll remember that this book takes it's title from the famous Clash song by the same name.

"I'm all lost in the supermarket
I can no longer shop happily"


Sound Familiar? That's right, Julep, this book is dedicated to recipes from punk and alternative bands. It's very similar in subject and format to the vegan cookbook Please Feed Me, by Niall Mcguirk that came out in 2004, except it's what we call "vegan friendly" and does contain a few recipes containing animal products. Lost in the Supermarket even contains a recipe from Quintron and Miss Pussycat, who hail from the Lower 9th Ward in New Orleans--yes Susie, they're hipsters. Nice job. Other famous contributions include Pasta Convertino by Calexico, Thai Sweet Potato Soup by Belle and Sebastian, Phal Ras by the Mountain Goats and Lancashire Hot Pot with Dumplings, by the creepiest man alive, Genesis P-Orridge.

The following slide depicts the Butternut Squash Soup, from the chapter, "Cheap Eats, Cheap Thrills." Please take a moment to note the soup's gorgeous orange color and the slightly caramelized and spicy roasted seeds, which add texture as well as garnish. The squash seeds were oven roasted with olive oil, salt, cayenne pepper and sugar. This will probably be on your test, so you'd better be taking notes, Nicole. This soup is simple to prepare, cheap like the chapter indicates, and one of the tastiest purees you'll ever have the opportunity to slurp into. Seriously class, this is a phenomenal recipe, and The New Amsterdams will be hereto forever memorialized for this winning contribution, not only to this book collection, but to modern civilization at large.

Butternut Squash Soup contributed by The New Amsterdams, page 68-69.

For tonight's homework, please review the first season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, you'll be quizzed on this information first thing Friday.

xo
kittee

22 comments:

  1. So would you say this book is worth buying? I liked Please Feed Me for fun, but not for cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got this book about a month ago and I LOVE it!!!!

    The Antony and the Johnsons recipe makes me smile everytime I read it! :-) I want to try the Belle and Sebastian soup recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh heck yes, Buffy you say? I'm all over that shit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ACE song!
    I often sing it when I'm in the supermarket and I'm not even lost!
    PUNK ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Miss Kittee, my dog ate my homework. I did it I swear, but Ruff took it right out of my hand and ate it just before class! :)
    What a gorgeous bowl of soup!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One mention of Buffy, and I'm all "I have a feeling...."
    Not first season, but do I at least get an A-??

    ReplyDelete
  7. we both ate butternut squash today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. kittee,yr insane and amazing.
    i saw this at powells(small one)when i was with nowhey kt last week,but it was near the door as we were leaving so i didn't have time to look at it.
    do you like quintron?i saw them in 2003 open for the cramps.i like them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. p.s the cheesecake recipe is coming to you soon,i swear!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want this book so badly it hurts - someone else just blogged on this (I don't remember who)...your taunting me with all this hip cookbookness...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm waiting for the Buffy quiz impatiently. I already know I will ace it. what? really, I will. self-confidence for the win.
    now pass some of that beautiful shoup my way, will you?

    ReplyDelete
  12. If there's Sonic Youth on the cover, I need that book!

    ReplyDelete
  13. what an AMAZING name for a cookbooks!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i'll see if mah public liberry will get it. this way i can check it out, see if i want it, and then buy it. i have butternut squash puree out to use to make soup tonight, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That cookbook looks ACE!! I reckon I could even find stuff to inspire my kitchen-shy husband to pick up a spoon and pan...

    ReplyDelete
  16. My favorite Clash song!
    The soup looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just got that too! I started flipping through it the other night but haven't made anything yet - keep us updated on what you make, kittee!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yea for punk rock recipes! I've always meant to go see Quintron when they come to Memphis (a couple times a year usually) but have yet to make a show.

    That soup looks so autumn-y!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the New Amsterdams even more now that I know they make awesome soup. I told myself I was going to stop buying cookbooks for awhile, but....

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh that crazy Gen. Apparently, he's kind of a dickhead. My hairdresser has stories about him. I still love him for boosting David Tibet though (and Coil).

    ReplyDelete
  21. I did my homework & named my dog Strummer after the results!

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.