Our apple season is short in New Orleans, and I've really been enjoying the crispy crunchy unadulterated apple-ness lately. I wanted to participate in this challenge, but without cooking the apples in any way. Also, since I like to be so un-American and all, I wasn't about to take the apple pie highway.
Here's what I came up with:
Apple Salad with Apple Mint and Candied Ginger.
- 3 apples (mix up the variety for interest)
- 1 lime, juiced (about 4 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- pinch cinnamon
- pinch cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- squirt of agave
- 1 tablespoon slivered apple mint
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced candied ginger
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Core the apples and slice thinly. Throw them in a bowl and toss them with 2 tablespoons of lime juice to coat completely.
- Combine 2 tablespoons lime juice, olive oil, salt, spices, mustard and agave and whisk to blend.
- Dress the apples with the dressing and toss with the candied ginger and mint.
- Season with pepper and extra salt, to taste.