Tuesday, October 28, 2008

It's Tricky.



Ever since I discovered this Chow article on "tricked out caramel apples," I've been dying to give them a try. Today I made a vegan version of the peanut variety--stuffed with a peanut butter ganache, then rolled in caramel and chopped dry roasted peanuts.

I agree with rayray, coring the apples was one of the funnest parts of this event, but I also fell in love with the caramel recipe. I've had lots of sordid caramel disasters in my past, but with an easy sub of Earth Balance and Silk creamer, this recipe is gonna be my go to from now on--no burning, no issues--it was glorious fun, and the caramel came out perfectly.

One of the tricks is to watch the caramel carefully with a thermometer, if you're careful the texture'll be perfect--chewy with a delicious flavor. The hardest part is finding the right sized pot, if you go too small, you'll have a bubble over disaster, so choose carefully! The Chow peanut butter ganache is delicious, but a little wet, so next time I make these, I'll be sure to reduce the amount of creamer by 1/3 or so--either that or add more chocolate.

I'm bringing these with me to see the Beastie Boys and the Violent Femmes tomorrow! Hang in there, and you may just get an inside shot.

xo
kittee

19 comments:

  1. YR AMAZING!
    i've been waiting for this!
    wowowow.
    are we the only 2 ppkers who actually did this besides saying "omgzed lookz yumz"?
    we rule!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so dangerous for me to know about these - and a caramel recipe that works well! You and RayRay do indeed rule!

    ReplyDelete
  3. man, i can't wait to get my braces removed. then i can eat caramel again! i really liked those tricked out apples. hmmm. i wonder how a cinnamon cream cheez fillin, caramel outie rolled in granola would taste?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jinx on candy apple posts today, although mine were by no means tricked out. They did ride in a bike basket, which gives them some cred. That show sounds awesome!! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of tricked out caramel apples before. These sound absolutely amazing. I only wish I could have seen a picture of one cut open because I imagine they must be beautiful with layers of caramel, apple, and ganache. Mmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm normally not a fan of caramel apples, but those look crunchtastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my goodness, these are the most amazing treats i've ever seen! i have yet to make caramel - and now i must try! you're too awesome, kittee!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, your caramel looks perfect. I keep trying and failing to make a decent caramel. It's the final component in my latest ice cream concoction to perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. YUM!
    great pictures. Those babies look soooo gooood. I've never had much luck with vegan caramel either, so maybe I'll give this Chow recipe a go. Of course, I'm not really sure my overall health would benefit from me knowing how to make delicious vegan caramel!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh drool! Those look perfect! I'm shy around hard core caramel recipes but your post changes everything. And peanuts.And peanut butter. Pinch me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. No, no. You cannot post these pictures and expect people not to try to bite their computer monitors. You are evil, woman, evil!!
    PS: Nice eyeball! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. those look so amazing!

    and the beastie boys and violent femmes!!?? ahhh, high school memories.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holy cow, those look ridiculously amazing! Congrats on your caramel success.

    ReplyDelete
  14. beastie boys and violent femmes in one show?! Whooot! whoot! I hope you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I made those caramel apples, but didn't stuff them. I liked the caramel recipe too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. holy crap, i decided today that i NEED to make some caramel apples. i went to your website after forgetting about it. i think i'm going to make te traditional variety first. caramel with nuts. i need!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.