Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Strawberry Crisp


I got an email today from Self.com for a blackberry peach crisp. The recipe looked pretty simple and sounded like it could be good, so I decided to veganize it, with the addition of chocolate chips, and make it with strawberries instead. It looks pretty, we'll see how it tastes after dinner!

Strawberry Crisp
Makes two 5" round minis
  • Cooking spray
  • 2 cups sliced strawberries
  • 4 teaspoons fresh orange juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
  • 3 tablespoons rolled oats
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 4 teaspoons canola oil
  • 2 teaspoons agave nectar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • a handful of chocolate chips (optional)
  1. Preheat oven to 375F and spray the mini pans.
  2. Combine the berries, juice and vanilla in a bowl and then distribute equally between the pans.
  3. Mix together the rest of the ingredients, until it comes together into a moist well blended mixture.
  4. Divide equally between the two crisps and sprinkle evenly over the tops.
  5. Bake until browned and bubbly, about 30 minutes (the crumble mixture is already brown, so watch carefully to prevent burning).

A shot from around my kitchen. Two stacking Pyrex bowls in the friendship pattern, some Pyrex refrigerator jars and a PY lemon salt shaker.
xo
kittee

18 comments:

  1. Oh yum! I love all of the strawberry posts. I'm so psyched that they're in season now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy to me! You're the strawberry queen. Cute Pyrex alert!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmmm... your posts always make me think i'm hungry.

    i love, love your pyrex collection! i'm quite fond of it myself and shared a bit of my collection in response to your tag. sorry it took me sooooo long. i appreciate you thinking of me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are on a delicious strawberry roll! I can't wait til they're in season up here.

    Love your cupboard. Much neater and more colorful than mine. What a cute salt shaker. I'd be a saltaholic if I owned that--I'd always want to shake that cute l'il thing/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am definitely envious of your Pyrex collection, especially anything that has birds on it. And the chocolate chip bits in the crisp are interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pictures on your blog are divine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the bowls!!! And love that crisp. Strawberries and chocolate...I'm drooling.

    BTW, I finally tried my first Papa Tofu dish! The Shimbra Asa W'et. I blogged about it last night (I also stole the Papa Tofu image from your zine...hope that's okay!) If not, I can take it down...I just wanted people to know what the book looked like and I couldn't find the pic I had taken.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ohhhh crisp! i love crisp so much my sister is sick of me making it for desserts.

    i'm adding chocolate chips next time to mine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How sweet! I have the cookie jar version of the little lemon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. you have not only delicious, but adorable things in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the idea of putting chocolate chips in the topping. Chocolate + strawberries = delicious. Definitely trying this one out next time I have strawberries.

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow that looks nice! i adore the shot of your kitchen, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. kittee, you're turning me into a pyrex fiend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks awesome! Let us know how it tastes. Those pyrex dishes are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the pyrex love. Fortunately, or unfortunately, there's a lot more of it where this came from. It's some of my favorite things.

    The crisp was great. It was a really light dessert, but refreshing and very strawberryesque. I really liked the addition of a sprinkling of chocolate chips, not too much to overdue it, but just enough to accent the berries. We really enjoyed the individual serving sizes too.

    xo
    kittee

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.