Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Strawberry Coconut Scotter Muffins


Many years ago, way before the PPK was born or vegan blogs existed, there was a good muffin recipe. It was a very popular muffin recipe and it was developed by a young kid named Scotter. I can't remember where I met Scotter, I'm thinking it was either on VegSource or some other primitive forum somewhere. Anyway, I posted his recipe with permission over at pakupaku, but never got around to actually making it, until today--close to 8 years after I first put it up. Seriously, I've got to bake muffins more often. They were good, but I didn't add enough salt. I am a salty gal.

Strawberry Coconut Scotter Muffins
Makes 11 regular sized muffins or 12 smaller ones

  • 2 cups all purpose flour or whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1 tablespoon non-aluminum baking powder
  • 1/4-1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/3 cup unbleached granulated sugar, plus more to sprinkle on top before baking
  • 2 teaspoons Ener-G egg replacer powder
  • 1/2 cup Earth Balance, melted
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon strawberry extract
  • 1 1/4 cups full fat plain, unsweetened soy milk
  • food color if you want it
  • 1 cup sliced strawberries
  • 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
  1. Preheat your oven to 325F.
  2. Line 12 muffin cups with cupcake papers.
  3. In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and egg-replacer powder. It's important to sift flours when you want light, airy-textured muffins and pastries! Make a well in the center of these ingredients.
  4. Add soy milk, extract, optional food color and melted Earth Balance. Stir just to combine then fold in coconut and fresh fruit. Don't over mix!
  5. Place batter into prepared muffin cups, making certain to keep a rounded top.
  6. Dust the tops with sugar; it'll give them a sweet, crunchy top.
  7. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until they're pleasantly browned on top.


Sarajane from Vegan Chicks Rock tagged me
. Thanks Sarajane! This is the most athletic thing I've done on my blog since I started it...

I'm supposed to write five things about myself, then tag five other bloggers to do the same thing on their blog. If you get tagged, please link back to me and post these rules. Tag five people at the end of your post, listing their names and linking to them. Then let them know they've been tagged by leaving them a comment on their blog.
  1. I'm about to make 40, that's gonna be a hoot, huh?
  2. I made a new skirt today, with big circular pockets! It's got panels on the front and back with horses grazing in a green field and is surrounded by green and white polka dotted cotton I hauled back from India.
  3. My mom is a clinical social worker--read SHRINK. Hi Mom! (We try not to take advantage). When I visit, I have to hide when patients arrive, it's a big no-no for them to see me or vice versa, but I usually mess this up.
  4. I cut myself at the thrift store last week. I was rummaging through a box full of bagged odds and ends and slit my finger open on some random plaster tchotzke.
  5. I never wear my hair down. I usually wear it up in a big bun. Since it was getting too long for my bun, I put it up and then chopped off the parts I didn't want in five inch segments. I have a self-done shag, which I haven't sported since my cousin Steven's bar mitzvah in 1978. It's working for me.
Watch out, you're getting tagged!
  1. Jenny from Rabbit Food
  2. Devoted Satellite from Only on a Windy Day
  3. A-K from Swell Vegan
  4. Bianca from Vegan Crunk
  5. Anni and Heikki from Tofu for Two
xo
kittee

9 comments:

  1. I like that those muffins have a history. As soon as strawberry season kicks in, I am going to make these.

    And it was nice to get to know you a bit better though the "five things".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look so great! I love strawberry anything! You have been making me so jealous with all your fresh strawberry posts. We won't be getting ours in for a couple weeks. I can't wait!

    BTW, thanks for tagging me. I've never been tagged before! I didn't notice until after posting this morning, but I will think about my five things and post them tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. melissa in memphisApril 10, 2008 at 6:04 AM

    I live in Memphis and go to New Orleans at least once a year. I love it there.

    Your blog is wonderful! Keep it up and keep posting garden pics. Nothin' prettier than a New Orleans garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great muffins and fun to learn about the mysterious kittee.

    I wore my curly hair up forever (very similar to yours)then last year, something came over me--probably hormones-- and I had it cut short and straightened. It was fun for 2 months, but straightening my hair daily was more work than it was worth so it's growing again. So, here's to gals like us with tight buns ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey miss kittee. i want those muffins. i just posted about my adventures in mochi, inspired by you! i also revealed 5 things about me, as commanded by you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Strawberry and coconut sounds like a great combination, and I love the color! How spring-appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember Scotter muffins from Vegsource! They were the first vegan muffins I ever baked and it's such a versatile recipe.

    Turning 40 is awesome, I'm enjoying middle age more than I thought I would.

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.