Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Slow to the game, mustard!


I planted mustard greens last Fall, and they've recently bolted into the most gorgeous yellow flowers. This weekend, while checking out the flowers, I realized one of the older stalks had formed seed pods. So I split a little pod open and discovered bright green MUSTARD SEEDS! I'm embarrassed to admit the discovery came as a complete surprise to me--I had no idea that mustard seeds came from mustard greens. Hello cycle of life, nice to meet ya.

Bonus garden shots:

Tire garden...


Rooting lemongrass from the grocery store.


The lemon tree is blooming this year, meyer lemons are on their way!

7 comments:

  1. THOSE are mustard greens?! I am embarrassed to say that those have been growing wild in my yard for years, I had no idea they were mustard greens!

    I am so jealous of your garden, Kittee! Lemons, you lucky girl you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay =)
    I planted some bell peppers and strawberries, and I hope my muscadine vine does somethin this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome, that you can have all the mustard you want then!

    Arlene,
    Bainbridge Island florist

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm so excited for you.
    i kill everything i touch, for the most part.
    i'm trying to get better...i've got basil, thyme and peppermint. we'll see how it goes!

    you should make lemongrass lemonade. mmmm....!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Circle of life, Bazu. Bazu, Circle of life. Nice to meet you!

    I love your garden shots- one day I hope to grow lemongrass too. Oh, and meyer lemons... mmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know that there's many fruit that has flowers it's new to me but those flowers are amazing and looks so beauty.

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.