Monday, April 28, 2008

Pretty good, so far.

Yesterday pretty much sucked, so I was worried the suck was going to ruin my birthday today (thanks for all the well wishes from Saturday!). But so far, no suck0rz (even though the hot pink popcorn balls wouldn't stick--see below).

Everyone should get hot pink popcorn balls on their birthday. They fit.

Dazee slathered me with presents this morning and played me Kermit Ruffin's Happy Birthday song, which is our tradition. He even added some birthday love from Atom and His Package to make things even juicier. What did he get me? You so nosey! Nice stuff I've been wanting for awhile--a ring! the Juno soundtrack! magazines, and books I'm sick of checking and rechecking from the library. I'm really excited by the Saveur subscription, even though it's so meaty, I relish it. The April '08 issue discusses vintage vegetarian cookbooks and even has a spread on Ethiopian cuisine with recipes. You might also be interested in the two cookbooks he got me, I've really been hankering to add them to my library. The Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book: A Guide to Whole Grain Breadmaking (so I can expand my whole grain muffin top, if you know what I mean) and Olive Trees and Honey: A Treasury of Vegetarian Recipes from Jewish Communities. Both of these are amazing, though not completely vegan, they are worth the $$.

Then I've been warming up the ol' Ebay account, for my birthday of course. Today I unwrapped a new addition to my Japanese anthropomorphic fruit collection: a two headed apple condiment jar.

I like the crazing. Should I use this for lemon pickle and other hot Indian shit?

And then of course, I've been pigging out on hot pink popcorn balls, pretty much all day.

Hot pink balls, courtesy of my good west coast pals.

I feel bad, I'm sorta known to stretch stories sometimes, I just like to tell a GOOD story, y'know? So the deal is, I told a yarn, and I didn't make myself ANY popcorn balls.

The proof, Papa Tofu page 71.

I had a big head to say I'd make 400 balls and stick them on my body (I never even tested the plan), and I'm sorry about it. Michelle and Mama Kim were even soOOo kind to help me get a jump start on the whole production dealio. Girls, I brought them outside to photograph stuck on my arms, and they don't stick to skin--they don't stick at all. There was no stickage happening, and it turned into a big problem even before the stinging ants began to circle me. I bailed, but I love my balls!

xo
kittee

12 comments:

  1. Glad your birthday was fabulous! I was wondering about that hot pink popcorn ball promise. I just read that a few weeks ago in my Papa Tofu, and when I saw your birthday post, I thought, when do I get to see the pink balls?

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I love the idea of the hot pink popcorn balls. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I too was waiting on the pink balls.... At least they were tasty. Maybe I will make myself some when I begin my 5th decade later this year. (Yeah, 1968!)

    That's a fascinating artile about the vintage veg cookbook - I love that kind of thing. I see there are recipes on-line to make your own "Protose" - the Kellogg product described in the first review. Not sure if I can hold myself back from trying it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy birthday again. i could eat those popcorn balls all day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love yer balls too! (Can I smell yo' dick?)

    Happy Happy Birthday to you you you! I love the apple condiment jar! I must show you my pickle jar passed down from my beloved Nana. I actually took a photo of it just the other day!

    xo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I raise my glass for you to never have sucky days from now on!
    vive la kittee!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for letting me off easy y'all and no Melisser, no matter how much you beg, you may not smell my dick. Thanks for the offer though!

    John, I'm gonna check out the protose recipe, I had no idea how much stuff Saveur posted online every month. Cook's Illustrated does the same thing, it's so great.

    xo
    kittee

    ReplyDelete
  8. A 40-year-old with a badass nose ring = what I want to be when I grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Um, clearly, you need to try again. With agave or superglue, your choice. I volunteer my photographing/ants-keep-awaying skillz.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Who's gettin off easy? I'm with Bazu...

    ReplyDelete
  11. happy birthday!! I can't think of anything more merrily birthday-y than pink popcorn, actually. And your new anthropomorphic dish thing is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are a DOLL! I just found your blog! LOVE LOVE! I gotta know......where do you find your eyeglasses? I always have the hardest time finding cute/vintagey specs! do tell...pretty please!

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.