Along with white bean salad, caponata, artichoke hearts, green and black olives, and pepperoni, I wanted some vegan sausage style meatballs. I like to make them homemade, rather than chucking out $$ on prepared ones or Gimme Lean. Here's how I do it.
Pre baked balls, waiting patiently for the oven to heat up.
TVP sausage style meatballs
(bazoOo, I'm not using cute fake meat names just for you).
- 1 cup granulated TVP (not chunks)
- 7/8 cup boiling water or stock
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- shake of red pepper flakes
- dash of toasted sesame oil
- dash tamari or soy sauce
- dash of gravy browner
- 1/3 cup unbleached white flour (can use whole wheat pastry or chickpea)
- 1/3 cup fresh herbs--parsley, oregano, thyme and basil work nicely.
- Boil the water or stock and pour over the TVP. Stir to mix and allow to sit while you proceed with the next step.
- Over medium high heat, saute the onion and celery in the olive oil, add salt.
- When the onion is soft and some of the liquid has cooked off, add the fennel seeds and red pepper flakes.
- Remove 1/4 cup of this mixture and set aside.
- Reduce to medium heat and add the softened TVP. Stir to combine flavors and to brown the TVP a bit.
- Stir in sesame oil, soy sauce and gravy browner.
- Place this mixture in a food processor with the flour and pulse a few times until almost smooth, but still with a bit of texture. Scrape down sides and move to a bowl.
- Stir in the reserved sauteed vegetables and fresh herbs. Season to taste with salt, if needed.
- Place a bit of parchment paper on a cookie sheet and preheat oven to 350F.
- With wet hands, form small balls and place evenly on cookie sheet.
- Bake until brown on the bottom, flip and bake another ten minutes. The texture of these are nice, crusty on the outside and moist on the inside.
What else am I planning?
Tofu cheese manicotti (made with crepes, like my mom used to fix)
Salad and dinner rolls
Super-crazy banana kake with white chocolate mousse and banana buttercream.