Friday, April 11, 2008

Grandma Millie's Butterscotch Porcupines

Hot porcupines pre chill.
I'm freakin' out a little here. Lovely BazooOOo sent me a package with some fun edibles in it. She wanted to know if there was anything she could send me from NY, that I couldn't get down here, and since we don't have Price Chopper I said BUTTERSCOTCH CHIPS (I've been hearing about them on several vlogs). I've been dipping into them and slowly munching on them from the bag, pondering cookies and butterscotch mousse and other such yummy things they could become. Suddenly yesterday, I remembered with a jolt my Grandma Millie's butterscotch ('n' peanut butter) porcupines. I'd long written off this confection as something that could not veganize, and something that I would unfortunately never taste again.

These porcupines are pure delicious creamy-crunchy comfort to me. Grandma Millie used to make them in North Miami Beach and ride them up to DC in her car for us (read: me) to indulge in every summer. She brought other treats too, like rocky road fudge, but nothing I loved or wanted to eat as much as these.
Me and Grandma Millie Lovin' in the 70s.
I was a bit skeptical that the butterscotch morsels would work in this recipe--I've found it quite challenging to get vegan white chocolate chips to melt over a double boiler, and I imagined these chips might behave in a similar fashion. Imagine my glee, however, when the chips melted down into the perfect consistency! I am beyond delighted and now filled with yummy nostalgia. Please serve these cold out of the fridge or freezer, they are so good this way. They set up in less than 30 minutes, so you can whip them up fast for spontaneous potlucks, get togethers and other whatnots.

Seriously Bazu, I am aiming butterscotch colored bolts of sweet, sweet love at you right now! Now I just need to get my hands on more chips so I can work on the mousse I've been imagining...

Cold porcupines pre-eating.
Grandma Millie's Butterscotch Porcupines Done Right
(This recipe can be made with chocolate chips if you can't find butterscotch morsels, but then you'll be doing them wrong, but in a right kind of way).

  • 12oz bag butterscotch morsels (private label from Price Chopper)
  • 4 tablespoons creamy or crunchy peanut butter
  • 2 cups unsalted dry roasted peanuts, split
  • 3 oz crunchy chow mein noodles
  1. Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper or parchment.
  2. In a medium-large bowl, combine the peanut butter, peanuts and noodles.
  3. Over a double boiler, thoroughly melt the butterscotch chips.
  4. Scrape the melted butterscotch into the bowl and mix well to combine.
  5. Drop by tablespoon into round mounds onto the prepared cookie sheet.
  6. Chill to set.

    20 comments:

    1. I love that I live less than 100 feet from a Price Chopper. <3

      ReplyDelete
    2. would it be too much for me to kiss your feet and worship the ground upon which you walk?
      yeah I thought so.

      ReplyDelete
    3. oh dear god you didn't!! Excuse me while I go make and then eat these in their entirety.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Oh maaaan, I need to make friends with someone who lives near a Price Chopper!! hehe.

      ReplyDelete
    5. Oh my goodness, those look fabulous. Also thanks for the link to the Sisters Vegan, we really appreciate it! When I get back from camping this weekend JP and I are going to try our hand at pretzels again. :3

      ReplyDelete
    6. grandma millie was a genius!

      i'm definitely making these at some point.

      yay!

      ReplyDelete
    7. In that picture of you and your grandma, it looks like her arm is wrapped all the way around you, which would have to make her really bendy like Stretch Armstrong.

      ReplyDelete
    8. porcupines! my mom used to make those with chocolate *and* butterscotch chips.

      your grandma millie sounds awesome.

      ReplyDelete
    9. Celine, not too much!!! Dazee doesn't pay enough attention to my toes. And just as an aside, when I used to teach Montessori, we had a foot washing activity in the classroom, where a child could invite another child to have their feet washed, dried and powdered. Indeed.

      Yes, my Grandma Millie was a genius. She was pretty amazing, had metallic wall paper and pink toilets and taught me to knit. She also had very bendy arms, but even more bendy lips.

      xo
      kittee

      ReplyDelete
    10. OHMYGOODNESS I used to love these things when I was little and have completely forgotten about them. Thank you !!

      :) lauren

      p.s.- my strawberry pie turned out fantastic - I'm going to eat the last slice right now. xo

      ReplyDelete
    11. Kittee, you know I'll send you a case of those chips whenever you want more- just let me know! Honestly, what's better than veganizing a grandma recipe? Yay for Grandma Millie!

      ReplyDelete
    12. Oh yay!!! It's always nice to bite into some delicious nostalgia!! I'm happy you were able to veganize your grandma's recipe!

      ReplyDelete
    13. amazing! I think that these would make me the happiest person alive. now i just have to find a west coast source for those butterscotch morsels...

      ReplyDelete
    14. i've had a version of this treat that my sister made and it rocked my socks off!

      ReplyDelete
    15. I am so delighted for you, Miss Kitty! ^_^

      ReplyDelete
    16. Darn. Brain blip === was thinking about the kitty here who was making my typing life difficult....

      Anyway, Kittee, I am sincerely delighted you were able to make this touchstone food.

      ReplyDelete
    17. Yum, these sound so good! I stocked up on a bunch of bags when I knew I would no longer have easy access to a Price Chopper, but now I don't know what to do with them. This one is definitely going on my list!

      ReplyDelete
    18. So sad, these are all gone now. I was eating about five of them a day. I'm ready for another batch!

      xo
      kittee

      ReplyDelete
    19. little kittee! you are such a cutie. those look really tasty. i didn't know about the price chopper morsels - they sound amazing. my hometown grocery is a chopper so i'll have to stock up next time i'm home...or have my mommy mail me some.

      xo

      ReplyDelete
    20. You crack me up with your posts. I will try these with my kids. thanks.

      ReplyDelete

    I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
    Spamming kills baby sea turtles.