Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Buttony Sweater KAL?

As I was trolling through Ravelry this morning, I found a sweater that I want to make. It's Buttony by Katie Marcus. The photo from ohmystars (see below), doesn't do it a bit of justice, I saw a lot of really adorable completed cardigans with interesting button combos that didn't look at all frumpy.

I'm inspired to host my first Knit Along so if you'd like to join me, the pattern is free and can be found here. If you're already on Ravelry the pattern is here, let me know who you are so we can hook up. I also started a thread for the KAL on the PPK.

This page on Ravelry discusses gauge for the sweater and links to about 40 discussions of it, and this thread is also very helpful. Apparently, we should be getting about 2.5 stitches per inch if you cast on 96 stitches.

So according to the thread above, all you have to do to make adustments to this sweater is to add or reduce stitches AFTER you knit the neckband. If you decrease at the beginning, the band will be too tight, and vice versa if you increase. Many people said that since this is a neck down sweater, it's easy to adjust for boobs...you just try it on as you go and increase or decrease accordingly based on how it fits. I couldn't find any details about boob darts or waist shaping, though I did read that someone added waist shaping and liked the result. Also, someone posted the following gauge, which is helpful--they had a good result:

Hi Friender - I know that you left your comment 2 months ago, but I figured it couldn’t hurt to answer anyway. I did my Buttony with 15 sts / 20 rows per 10 cm, using the yarn and needles given in the pattern. But my sweater seems a little dense - if I did it again, I’d probably go for a slighter looser gauge. I hope that helps someone! [She then went back and said that her sweater wasn't at all dense, and she didn't know what she had written that in the first place.]
For those of you not on Ravelry, here are some related blog entries about the sweater that might help you:
http://chocolateachuva.blogspot.com/2008/04/fire.html
http://tomboyknits.blogspot.com/2008/01/fo-buttony-sweater.html
http://lickmysticks.com/?p=144
http://spindelicious.vox.com/library/post/buttoney-woes.html?_c=feed-rss
http://www.ninabomba.com/mt/archives/2007_04.html (scroll down)

Also, this blog entry shows how easy it will be to modify the pattern...It's a perfect example of why a raglan top down sweater is a good one to start with.
I'm shooting for a May 1st cast on, anyone with me?

Another great link here.
I also found a KAL on craftster with lots of good info, crap it's got 39 pages and will hopefully answer a lot of questions!

I cheated and cast on today, I couldn't wait. I've noticed that the pattern is really not precise and since there are some new knitters joining this KAL, I want to post notes as I work. Also, I'm posting the pattern for a really easy to follow top down, baby raglan sweater. I think if you refer to this pattern for direction, it will help with Buttony's lack of instructional detail.

Check out this baby pattern for help with the raglan increases.
Waist shaping details here and really great shots of her sweater here.

Notes:
  • Don't forget to make your first buttonhole at the beginning, don't wait until the 10th row to add one.
  • The raglan increases on row 9 are done a bit differently than I've seen before, and it took me awhile to figure out. Here's what I'm doing, slip the first stitch, knit to within one stitch of the first marker. Make one, knit one, slip the marker, knit one then make one again. Repeat before each marker. Also, I'm not increasing into the bar the way the pattern calls for, I'm knitting into the back of the stitch instead, I like the way it looks better with no holes. Row 9: Slip 1, (K to within 1 st of marker, M1, K2, M1) to end
  • When you get to the point you want to try on the sweater and you move stitches to other needles, make sure you remember to put your stitch markers back in! I just made that mistake, what a mess.
  • Start your sleeves with a long tail, there will be a little hole, that you can use the tail to sew up when you finish it off. Otherwise, if you want them to be a little wider at the base, pick up stitches around the hole and knit.
  • This page explains the ssk decrease that is used for sleeves.
  • WIP shots are here.
  • I did some succesful waist shaping based on the craftster thread above. I placed one stitch holder under each armpit. On a knit row, I decreased two stitches at each holder like this: ssk, k1, slide holder, k1, k2tog. I made this increase row 3X spacing them 6 rows apart. This worked great, then I started increasing in the same manner, but only was able to do one round of increases before I had to start the ribbing.
  • When I started on the sleeves, I had 51 stitches. I picked up an additional 5 under the arm to prevent a hole. I immediately decreased 8 stitches on the first row to get to 48 stitches. I did this by k2togh, k2tog, k1, k2tog, k1, k2tog knitting until the last stitches on the round, and repeating this pattern in reverse.
xo
kittee

27 comments:

  1. That sounds awesome! I'll try to tag along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd so be there if I knew how to knit, this sweater's ace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMIGOSH! I've totally been wanting a sweater just like that! I'll knit with you, for sure, I'm fearofbirds on Ravelry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh crap!!
    this is making me real excited. when you figure out your yarn and needles, will y'all post so we can see about gauge? if you notice, no gauge is listed for the pattern, but those of us on ravelry can compare with posted gauges of completed sweaters...

    xo
    kittee

    ReplyDelete
  5. For those on ravelry, this sweater: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Navi/buttony-sweater had a gauge of 13 stitches per 4" with a size 10 needle...

    xo
    kittee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm... I have been thinking of starting a sweater for myself. I've only made baby sweaters before, but I don't have any yarn handy to use for it. So, I might have to wait a couple weeks to cast on. I would need to order yarn cause I can't afford any of the stores around me. There is a forum on Ravelry specifically for Knitty KALs I think...

    Yep - here it is:

    http://www.ravelry.com/groups/knitty-kals

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kittee,

    I just got that book Vegan With a Vengeance, and Isa calls for all-purpose flour to make the carrot cake. Do you think it's okay to use enriched unbleached flour instead?

    --Derek

    ReplyDelete
  8. derek,
    sure it'll work, though i doubt it's unbleached flour you've got. usually enriched flour is also bromated and bleached...but you'll get the same results. just don't use self rising flour and you're good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. happy birthday! (i hadn't checked your blog in a few days and i missed all the excitement!) looks like you had a grand time...

    well, i can't knit yet, otherwise this looks like a fun project. i can't wait to see everybody's sweet sweaters.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, this may be just the pattern my stash o' Sirdar Peru has been waiting for! Seems pretty straightforward...I'll pledge to cast on by the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I signed up for a ravelry account, but it looks like it'll be about a week before i'm actually on there. Is there anything about adjusting this sweater to fit a small or x-small size? I have no boobies :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am going to respond to questions about mods in the body of this email, so it's easiest to find the info you want. Radioactive, I'm posting info there for your about your questions.

    xo
    kittee

    ReplyDelete
  13. No way. Too hard. But happy big ol birthday, and you girls have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can I do this with a whole bunch of wool yarn I bought pregan? It's a beautiful sweater! I requested a ravelry account so I can look for some details on shaping.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Walktopus,
    This is an open KAL, pick whatever yarn you like and join us!

    xo
    kittee

    ReplyDelete
  16. i am joining! i won't be casting on until the weekend though, because i need to pick up some yarn and needles. woo!

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh!
    look at this one:
    http://"http//www.flickr.com/photos/honeypoo/300199437/

    I'm loving it (it's in the link from the craftster kal).

    xo
    kittee

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cute cardy.

    I've been knitting since I was 7--but for the last 2-3 years, I just haven't been into it--maybe b/c I live in a one room loft, and every time I knit, the kitties have free reign to attack the yarn and needles. That means I can only knit in peace in the bathroom. *sigh*

    I want to get back into it. Maybe seeing your progress will inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm going to do an investigation of my stash with Noel this weekend and see if we turn up anything good - if we do I'll give the KAL a go!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm always happy to answer any questions on stuff I've knit! Enjoy the Buttony! It's a fun, quick knit!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. raddish (from the ppk)May 1, 2008 at 12:29 PM

    Hhhhokay dokay. I'm definitely in on this! I'm just about to cast on (once I figure out how many stitches I need!)
    I'm knitting it in a dk weight acrylic.
    I actually have a brand spankin' new blog that is EMPTY! I think this is just what I need to get it started. The url is http://rosibell.wordpress.com/
    Expect to see posts very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  22. So what row did you do your first buttonhole? I did mine on row 9 but now I'm thinking I should frog to move my buttonhole and do your suggested raglan increase (I'm getting holes). I'm only about 12 rows in so not a big de.

    ReplyDelete
  23. walktopus,
    i put my first buttonhole on row four and it looks good...too bad the printed directions for this suck so bad. but after you get started, it is soooooo easy. i already have plans to make another one in a cool stitch i have from one of my grandma's old books.

    for increases, i'm doing a bar increase or knit one in front and back, and it looks great with no holes.

    xo
    kittee

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey Kittee, I cast on last Monday, but have only just started the increases! Will be a bit slow as work is nutty right now. Ripped out first attempt when I woke up and realised putting buttonhole in v. first row prob wasn't best idea.

    Looks like Sirdar Peru will work out fine - mine's in the wheaty colourway.

    How's yours a-comin'?

    ReplyDelete
  25. For boob darts...
    http://www.knittingdaily.com/blogs/daily/archive/2008/06/16/bust-dart-math-part-one.aspx

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.