Thursday, March 20, 2008

The Strawberry Pie You Must Make


Dazee brought home at least eight pints of strawberries from the farmers' market last weekend, and they've been beckoning me all week to make pie. I'm gullible to their little voices, so I made another strawberry glace pie (the first one was featured in Herbivore last year) and you'd have to be a real sourpuss not to like it--for true, this is one of my best recipes. I think it might be my most favorite dessert ever, I like it more than anything I can think of at the moment, and that includes creme filled cookies and kake.

If you're gonna make a crust, I heartily recommend the "fool proof" pie crust recipe from Cook's Illustrated November '07. It's the flakiest, easiest crust ever, and you can make it half whole wheat if you want. The magic in this recipe is two-fold. First fat is blended with flour and then extra flour is cut in to create layers of crust and fat (these develop into a flaky crust in the oven once the fat melts). The second reason this recipe works so well, is that it uses vodka. The vodka yields a moist crust that's easy to work with and roll out, yet the alcohol evaporates out once it's baked so it's not gummy.

Strawberry Pie

What You Need:
  • A pre baked and cooled pie crust
  • 1/4-1/3 tub Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese
  • Approximately 1 1/2 quarts of fresh strawberries (enough to fill an entire pie plate, plus an extra cup to mash), washed and with the hulls cut off. Cut the tops as straight as you can so the strawberries stand up easily in your pie plate.
  • 1 cup unbleached granulated sugar
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1/2 cup water
What You Do:

  1. Mash up enough strawberries to make one cup. Mash them really well, or throw them in your food processor and pulse them a bit, go slow so you don't end up with soup. I used an immersion blender and went well.
  2. In a medium saucepan, blend together the sugar and cornstarch. Stir in the water and mashed berries.
  3. Over medium high heat, cook stirring all the while until the mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Reduce heat so you don't get splattered and keep stirring for one minute. Remove from heat and cool.
  4. While the jam you made cools, stir the cream cheeze until soft, and spread it onto the bottom of the cooled pie crust.
  5. Top the Tofutti with your strawberries, pointy side up. I started in the middle and worked my away around in circles. You will want to place them along the edges too. I found that putting the tallest in the center is best, because the jam is deepest there. You might have to rearrange them a bit to get it to look the way you want, but don't worry about making it look perfect since the jam covers up a lot and fills in any gaps (especially on the sides).
  6. Pour the cooled jam evenly over the whole thing and refrigerate several hours until set.
So freakin' tasty.
xo
kittee

19 comments:

  1. I cannot WAIT for strawberry season. I haven't had strawberry pie since I was a little girl, and believe you me, that was a LONG time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. gorgeous strawberries on top? vodka in the crust? no need to say more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a pick-your-own organic strawberry farm here and they should be ready VERY soon! This pie makes me really excited!

    BTW, my copy of Papa Tofu came in yesterday. And I'm loving it. I'm so glad you included African recipes. I don't think any of my other cookbooks or zines have such a selection of African food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh that looks so delicious! Cute ladybug :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please link to this site.

    http://cookingrecipe001.blogspot.com/

    It is a splendid site. Please link by all means

    http://cookingrecipe001.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for the recipe! I made this today to share with my family and it was a hit. My nephew asked if I would make this pie "A 100 times!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, it sounds SO good! I may take this to a picnic this summer. I wonder if I can make a digestive biscuits crust or be lazy & use a graham cracker one?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the recipe!

    Although I have to say it's the ladybug that drew me to this post. I've got the same bug on the back of my toilet tank--but she's got antenae--what happened to yours??

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made the pie and it was gone in 10 minutes!
    Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh hey! It's that pie I want to make! And the lady bug I gave you!
    It was weird to see this on Craftblog, I thought, "Oh that's like the one I gave Kittee! Hey, that IS Kittee's!"
    I miss you and your beautiful garden.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm making your pie this weekend. I just finished making vodka crust. I'm a little concerned about how moist it is, but we'll see! I have one question...when you pre-cook your pie crusts, do you use pie weights? And did you follow the 425 degree, 10 minutes with the vodka crust too? Thanks for an amazing recipe and I can't wait to finish it up tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. suzanne!
    i do not have pie weights, so i don't use them. i normally just prick the crust before baking, but if you have weights or use dry beans, that would be good. I also do prebake the crust for about the same time, keep an eye on it, you just want it to be golden, not brown. let me know how it goes, i'd love to see!

    xo
    kittee

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds good, but what is Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese, and how much is in a tub?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I decided that since I don't know what Tofutti is, I would just make it with cream cheese. This is an absolutely fabulous pie! I'm about to make my third one in a week. We're addicted.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's in the fridge now and I am pretty sure we are eating this pie for breakfast tomorrow. Even though I cheated with premade crust, the home made jam is going to win 'em over. I can't wait to make another prettier pie (and eat it all up). Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome! I made this pie this week and it came out great. I linked you in my post about it as well. Thanks.

    http://look2beauty.blogspot.com/2010/05/vegan-strawberry-pie.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gauri Radha गौरी राधाJuly 1, 2011 at 7:12 PM

    This looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is going on my to do list!

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.