Friday, March 28, 2008

RichWhip is Artery Clogging Good


I picked up a carton of Richwhip awhile back and have been storing it in my freezer ever since. Since I've been going strawberry crazy this week, I thought it'd be the perfect opportunity to whip the carton up to see what this stuff was made of. Tonight I'm serving it up with strawberry cake and macerated berries, just like Emeril suggests strawberry shortcake style--maybe with some homemade strawberry ice cream too, we'll see!

I defrosted the carton in my fridge and then whipped it up with the whisk attachment that goes with my immersion blender. Holy bazooka. It's thick, artery clogging and delicious. Just like whipped cream is supposed to be, and it has a sweet, but not cloying flavor. I don't see why this stuff couldn't be subbed for whipped cream or heavy whipping cream in any sweet recipe. Lots of potential here folks...

I found it in the freezer section of my local kosher market, along with the truly vegan jimmies (no confectioner's glaze!) showcased in the photo.

P.S. I want to add that this cream topping is super stable at room temperature. I left it out for four hours and it's the 80s here today, it didn't deflate at all.

xo
kittee

10 comments:

  1. That's awesome! I have some soyatoo in the box & a few boxes of organic Cremovita from the UK. I've been debating what to use them for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to try this. Is it sold refrigerated?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the yummy tip Kittee! I haven't tried Rich Whip, but I'll have to keep my eyes open for it.

    I can't wait for strawberry season here in Portland. You're so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My strawberry farmer friend is promising the patch will be ready here in Memphis in a few weeks! I can't wait! I probably won't be able to find Rich Whip around here...we have a pretty small Jewish pop here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This area has a huge Jewish population! I need to start raiding kosher grocers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i do love rich whip. the store where we used to get it here closed so when we were back in massachusetts i went to a kosher store in brookline and packed half a dozen containers of RW in my luggage. my sweetie's parents thought i was a little crazy. i've been using it slowly ever since.

    we just got back from london and tried oatly cream. our hosts didn't have a mixer or even a whisk so i'm not sure how it whips (i tried whipping it for 20 min with some forks but no go) but it was a lovely consistency and not sweet like RW. i think it would go well in savory dishes. i hope they sell it here soon.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bazu, it's sold in the freezer.

    Lacey! I miss you too. Your job sounds fun, cooking for a family! Are you making vegan-only stuff?

    MMMmmmMMie: I really am addicted to this Rich Whip. I need to get a few cartons so I can keep it in the freezer at all times. I am soo impressed with it's stability. Once I stuck it in the fridge, I thought it would collapse, but it just got firmer and firmer. I do wish they sold an unsweetened version for savories, but I'm happy with this too.

    xo
    kittee

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! I do some work with RichWhip and just wanted to let you know that you can get more info on the product at http://www.richwhip.com/products.html, and also on that page is a product locator so you can find a store near you that sells it. It's available in many local and national grocery stores. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The best part is that it costs $1.17 here. Soyatoo is roughly $5.45. Maybe now I will have the ability to make killer ice cream!

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.