Thursday, March 27, 2008

ichigo daifuku (mochi stuffed with sweet red beans and strawberries)


I love mochi, especially the sweet stuffed kind known as daifuku. When I taught Montessori school in a small Korean neighborhood, some of the mother's of the children in my class would bring me batches stuffed with anko (a sweet red bean paste made from aduki beans and sugar) or toasted coconut. I've always wanted to taste ichigo daifuku (mochi stuffed with anko and fresh strawberries), and today I had my chance since my kitchen was temporarily transformed into a mean-mochi-machine. My daifuku didn't come out as perfect as the professional ones I buy in the market, but they're still super-delicious and chewy.

There's not too much mochi makin' info on the web--I've searched and searched. There are a few recipes here and there, a video or two on YouTube, but in general most of the info I've found hasn't offered too much direction. Since we bought a flat of gorgeous Ponchatoula strawberries at the Farmers' Market last weekend, I really wanted to dive in and give these a whirl.

Ichigo Daifuku
1 cup Mochiko (glutinous rice flour--no other flour can be substituted)
1/4 unbleached granulated sugar
2/3 cup water
Katakuriko (potato starch)
food color (optional)
prepared anko (you can boil some aduki beans into a thick paste with sugar or google for recipes)
10 small strawberries, cleaned and hulled
  1. With wet hands, take a small ball of anko, press it into a thin disk and wrap around a strawberry. Repeat with remaining berries and set aside.
  2. In a small bowl, mix together well: Mochiko, sugar and water (add a bit of food color if you want tinted mochi).
  3. With a spatula, scrape the mixture into a microwave safe dish, I used a 8" wide plate with an inch high lip, but a pie plate would be perfect.
  4. Microwave for two minutes. Remove dough and stir quickly.
  5. Return to the microwave and cook for 2 more minutes. The dough will bubble up and inflate, but be careful not to overcook or the dough will be too tough.
  6. Sprinkle the katakuri on top of the dough and on any surface that is going to touch the dough, this includes utencils too.
  7. Cut off a small piece of warm dough and press it into a circle. I found it easiest to press into a circle on a well starched board, rather than using a rolling pin.
  8. Plunk an anko covered berry into the center of the mochi disk and carefully pull up two sides of the disk at 12 and 6 o'clock and pinch to seal. Repeat another pinch at 9 and 3 o'clock. Cut off any extra clumps of dough that might bunch up and pinch a again to firmly seal. Set aside and repeat.

Eat!

xo
kittee

23 comments:

  1. holy smokes this makes me happy!


    (but I will be even happier when you come to portland and make it for me!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome! this looks delicious!
    any idea what to do with the pre-made hard mochi that you can buy in asian markets? i've been trying to figure that out. any thoughts at all would be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought a book while I was in hawaii called "Hawaii's Best Mochi Recipes" and I love it! There's another one I wanted called " Unbearably Good! Mochi Lovers' Cookbook" that I wanted because it also looked great. Let me see if I can link them on here:


    http://www.amazon.com/Hawaiis-Best-Mochi-Recipes-Watanabe/dp/1566473365/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206667770&sr=8-1

    http://www.amazon.com/Unbearably-Good-Mochi-Lovers-Cookbook/dp/0967385105/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206667892&sr=1-1

    The first one's def better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oops, it totally ate the links. oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, that sounds amazing! I've never seen a recipe for those. I love mochi... where do you think Daiku gets his nickname...? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kittee, those look soooo good! I am sooooo jealous!!! I tried to make mochi once and it ruined my mixer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi again!
    Just wanted to pass on this information ...

    Boston Magazine recently published an article all about us this month - here is the link:

    Oh Soy Tasty!

    If you have a few minutes to spare, could do us a huge favor and read the article and comment at the bottom of the page? We're very excited about getting such great press, especially from a magazine of this caliber. If everyone drops by and leaves a quick comment, soon there will be no doubt in any publisher's mind: YES, readers absolutely do want to know about vegan happenings and developments. Please don't hesitate to repost the article on your blog and spread the world!

    Thanks!
    Emily @ Wheeler's Frozen Desserts

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! This is so exciting! I am definitely going to make these and some ice cream filled mochis!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How exciting! You are such an awesome foodie, Kittee! I have 2 bags of aduki beans, I may have to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cool! The only mochi I'm familiar with is the kind I used to buy from Hoe-Foods in the refrigerated section that you cut into squares and pop in the oven..must be an Americanized thing. I really want to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh man, it's been ages since I've last had daifuku.. Now I'm seriously craving it. These look great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks everyone!

    Meghan, I have no idea what hard mochi you're talking about, is it the hippy kind by Grainaissance?

    Juusan, I just saw those books on amazon today. I definitely want one. Thanks for sharing.

    Jenny, the mochi you've seen in the HFS is a totally different animal to these. You've got to give 'em a try. So good! And the strawberry gets really juicy the next day...

    ReplyDelete
  13. you are insane in the best of ways.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. GIRL!! That Mochi looks tight! :D

    I am so happy it's strawberry season again! I discovered a strawberry patch near my sister's house, just a big patch and a white kiosk with boxes of strawberries for sale. I bought their smallest box because I didn't have much cash on hand. I want to go back for the big one and make a pie and other delights.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm makin' it today or tomorrow -- with the anko from scratch. AND with crystalized ginger stuffed into the middle of the anko. Mmmm! Then I make black sesame paste filling :o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow. Looks great. I love adzuki beans and red bean paste! I bought the glutinous rice so i am halfway there. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. so i want to make mochi but i was just wondering if that amount of cook time is ok
    i mean is it supposed to be like that

    so it doesn't have to be cooked cooked

    ReplyDelete
  19. hahanoodle,
    i'm not sure what your question is? the time i posted in the recipe, is the actual cooking time in the microwave. the dough does not come out raw. give it a go and see what you think.

    xo
    kittee

    ReplyDelete
  20. ah i see i see ok thank you very much
    it looks really good :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. I loved the recipe they turned out great!!!
    I just noticed, however, when I was adding the recipe to my cookbook that you don't specify 1/4 of what for the sugar, my eyes saw cup should be there because of the flour and water had the same measurement. I'm assuming it was right as it turned out perfect! Tasted just like the mochi we buy at the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really enjoy preparing this recipe it's so great and my son loves now I don't need to buy it in markers anymore because I know the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Okay. I guess I'll have to try this recipe and give mochi another shot! It looks tasty and I do love other sweets with red bean paste!

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.