Sunday, February 3, 2008

Vegan King Cake 2008!

Edited 2013:  
XGFX Peanut Butter Cup King Cake can be found here. (Plain dough can be used with other fillings).
Regular Peanut Butter Cup King Cake can be found here.
❤ My friend Scott also has a great King Cake recipe, which is here.

 
Happy Mardi Gras. You too, baby!
Mardi Gras is in full swing down here, and dazee's been beggin' for King Cake--so of course I obliged!

Money shot! We had to dig in right away.
When I made the Pan de Muertos for The Day of the Dead last year, I thought the dough would work really well for King Cake, so I decided to give it a try this year. I like this recipe so much better than the recipe I've been using the last few years. The texture of the dough is very soft, and it rises so nicely--it makes a much higher cake.

My friend Avery sent me several jars of preserves she put up last Summer, so I decided to make good use of some for Carnival--The cake pictured above is half blueberry and half cinnamon sugar. The juicy homemade blueberry preserves really did this cake a favor, it came out extremely moist.
King Kake (revised Mardi Gras 2008)
Makes one large ring.

What You Need:
  • 1 cup whole wheat bread flour or whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup unbleached granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup (four tablespoons) Earth Balance
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
  • 1/4 cup tepid water
  • 1/2 cup non-dairy yogurt
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch or Ener-G egg replacer (dry--don't mix with liquid)
  • 2 teaspoons organic orange zest, divided
  • 1 1/2-2 cups unbleached white flour
  • 1-1 1/2 cups powdered sugar and more non-dairy milk for glaze.
What You Do:
  1. In the bowl of a mixer with a dough hook, combine the whole wheat flour, yeast, salt, and 1/4 cup of the granulated sugar.
  2. Heat the Earth Balance and non-dairy milk over medium low heat, until the Earth Balance is melted. Remove from heat and add the warm water. Bring the temperature to 110F.
  3. Add the warm liquid to the flour and and beat to combine. Add the yogurt, Ener-G and zest and continue to beat until well blended.
  4. Add in 1/2 cup of white flour and mix to combine. Continue to add the white flour in 1/2 cup increments until the dough is soft and firm, but still a bit tacky (mine only needed 1 1/2 cups).
  5. Knead for ten minutes by hand or five with a dough hook, until the dough is smooth and elastic (it will be slightly tacky to the touch).
  6. Gather the dough into a ball and let rise in a large bowl covered with a tea towel in a warm area, until doubled in size about 2 hours. (I put mine in the oven with the pilot light lit).
  7. Once the dough has risen, punch it down, preheat the oven to 350F.
  8. Lightly flour your counter and rol lthe dough out into a long rectangle about 26"X20" (keep the wide end facing you). The dough should be about 1/4" thin.
  9. Once the dough is rolled out, it's time to fill it. Spread your choice of filling over the whole thing, but leave a 1" margin at the top and sides to help prevent the filling (see below) from squirting out when you roll it.
  10. Starting at the bottom edge, carefully roll up the dough, jelly style--don't forger to hide a tiny baby in the cake somewhere (you can use a dry bean, too). Pinch the seam really well, and connect the ends to form an elliptical ring. The sides will need to be pinched extremely well too, because they often leak.
  11. Carefully transfer to the dough to a parchment covered cookie sheet and bake until brown about 35-45 minutes.
  12. Let cool ten minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool more.
  13. While the dough cools, make the sugar glaze. Sift the sugar in a bowl, and add just a tiny bit of milk-teaspoon by teaspoon- until it's a thick but pourable consistency. Pour over the mostly cooled cake and decorate with purple, gold and green sugar**.
*Fillings:  I usually make one of the following (or a combination), the cake shown in the pictures above is half blueberry and half cinnamon sugar. Usually if I make a cream cheeze cake, I sprinkle cinnamon sugar over the top. See the picture below.
  1. Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese
  2. Granulated sugar mixed with ground cinnamon
  3. Preserves
Spreading on cream cheese.
Rolling up the dough--sprinkled with cinnamon sugar on top of the cream cheeze.
Colored sugar
**Colored Sugar:  Even in New Orleans, I have trouble finding purple sprinkles during the season (I think they sell out fast), so I just make my own. It's really easy if you use Wilton food color pastes. Just put some sugar in a bowl, add a little bit of colored paste, and then mix really well. I usually use my fingers to get the paste blended well with the sugar.

xo
kittee

33 comments:

  1. Kittee, you are truly amazing! That is one awesome cake.

    Can you mail me a piece? I need it badly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't believe it's Mardi Gras time! I'm sure that cake will get the party started!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laissez les bon ton roulette.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that looks so good i am on the verge of breaking my "stop baking cakes until it's warm enough to exercise outside" rule! three cheers for kittee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm making this tomorrow. I got my baby jesus all ready to go. Yessss.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks awesome as it does every year! Nice and big n' poofy looking this year.

    I have been waiting with bated breath to see your Mardi Gras costume for this year? Will we get a sneaky peaky??

    ReplyDelete
  7. I keep eyeing your king cake recipe in papa tofu, and now you've gone and made it even better. I won't have time to make this before mardi gras (today)is over, but now I have an excuse to celebrate later.

    p.s. today is super tuesday and fat tuesday, so today is super-fat tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely! And I like the cake retrospective in the last post.

    Up north here, we never really celebrated Mardi Gras (except for in my high school French class), so I did Pancake Tuesday and made some Chai Pancakes. But your cake looks so pretty, one of these years I'm making it.

    Happy Shrove/Pancake/Fat Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so amazing, I can't wait to try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks tasty!
    I've never made a king cake before but since my husband is from New Orleans I probably should learn! (And we're vegan so this is great!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for your comments, people!

    Joolee, don't be disapointed, but i actually recycled some costumes this year. i just couldn't get it together, it's been a combo of depression and too busy with the new dog. i tried and tried, but nothing looked good.

    Bazu, your cake is magnificent!

    xo
    kittee

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you're all recovered. I just think that kake is da' bomb.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cake decorating is a hobby and a delight for all seasons. What better way to keep the family happy than to bake them a sweet tasting cake for that special occasion, or maybe just to show you care.

    http://decorating-cake.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Kittee - I (plus my King Cake Krewe) made 3 of these cakes on Sunday (all with different filling) and they turned out great! One was cinnamon, one was raspberry, and the one I brought to work today is strawberry. We made a creme cheese icing though - here's the recipe:

    Cream Cheese Frosting:
    8 ounces Better Than Cream Cheese (yellow pack), softened
    1/2 cup Earth Balance, room temperature
    1 pound confectioners' sugar
    1 teaspoons vanilla extract

    All the non-vegans loved them too! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. err...cream cheese icing.

    We put that on top of the cakes and put sprinkles on top of icing. No luck with all-natural food coloring so we just used a little bit of normal food coloring. I posted some pictures on my facebook. Leah can probably give them to you. She told me she was supposed to spy on my vegan recipes for you, so I'm just making it easier :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome! I wish I could just buy this cake from you. I will try this recipe out this weekend (better late than never!).

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am a vegan who recently moved to New Orleans and I really want to make this delish looking king cake--but I have a question. How do I "bring the temperature to 110F" (step 2)? Do I need a candy thermometer to make this kake right?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just made this wonderful cake - my first vegan king cake, and it's every bit as good as the "real" New Orleans thing. Thanks for this recipe! I made a few substitutions: I used only all-purpose flour (since I didn't have whole wheat pastry flour on hand), and I blended about 4 oz. of silken tofu to replace the 1/2 cup of soy yogurt. Turned out great - pics and details here: http://littlepaths.wordpress.com/2012/01/29/homemade-king-cake/.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This sounds delicious! Do you think this would keep well enough if I bake it today (Monday) and serve it tomorrow night (Tuesday)? I don't want the cake to get soggy from the filling, but I'll be at work tomorrow and won't have enough time to let it rise, roll it out, etc. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. depending on how you fill it, you will probably want to store it in the fridge and then bring it to room temp before eating. can you frost it before serving so the top is fresh? that'd prolly be the best.

      xo
      kittee

      Delete
  21. I made my first king cake today & it came out perfectly. I filled it w/ vegan gourmet cream cheese, cinnamon & sugar. Next year (if I wait that long), I'll try some jam. Thanks so much for sharing your recipe, the directions were easy to follow & answered all my Q's. I love the hint of orange from teh zest. Happy Mardi Gras!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks--I ended up making the dough a few hours ahead and then baking it at the potluck last night. It was amaaaaaazing! Like a cinnamon roll and cheesecake rolled into one. (I made the glaze with orange juice and vanilla extract, mixed Vegan Gourmet cream cheese with wild blueberries for the filling, and added a little cinnamon to the dough.)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can't wait to try this (it might DEFINITELY have to be before the next Mardi Gras)! I moved from New Orleans two years ago...and was missing king cake. I made my first king cake this year, but didn't have a vegan recipe for it and wasn't ready to make substitutions yet. I'm so excited that you have created and shared this!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I do not even know how I stopped up right here, but I thought this submit was once great.

    I do not recognise who you're however definitely you're
    going to a famous blogger when you are not already.

    Cheers!
    Take a look at my page : kohls in store printable coupons

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm gonna make it right now for Zora's 3 Kings' celebration at school tomorrow! I'm sure it will be fabulous. Thanks, Kittee!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think a second rising step might be missing from the recipe... should you let it rise again after shaping it? We made the cake this weekend, and while it was delicious, the ring was pretty skinny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there,
      I actually never do second rises on King Cakes, because I've never needed to. The oven spring has always been enough. Here are a couple of thoughts on your narrow ring:

      *was your yeast active? sounds like it might have been dead.
      *did you fill this with anything besides cinnamon and sugar? since cinnamon sugar King Cake doesn't have a lot of filling, you might have made the coil too long and thin?

      I hope that helps. The only time this was ever an issue for me was when my yeast was killed. Make sure the milk mixture's not too hot when it gets added to the yeast.

      xo
      kittee

      xo
      kittee

      Delete
  27. My friend Amelia and I made this king cake this past weekend as a trial run for this coming weekend when we plan to surprise our vegan friend with an awesome cake! It turned out really well - I especially like the Tofutti cream cheese with cinnamon mixture, while Amelia prefers the apricot jam side we made. Amelia took our leftovers to work today and received very positive reviews!

    Ours didn't rise a ton either, but the end result wasn't goopy or too dense, so it was fine. Rising longer wouldn't hurt, though.

    One question for the recipe itself - You mention having the orange zest divided, but never tell us what to do with the other half. We ended up putting the full 2 tsps into the dough.

    This one is definitely a keeper! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.