Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Dave $$ Makes 40

The only known photograph of the kake to survive. Nice picture of me.
My friend Dave paves the way before me, and he just made 40--so you know what's just around my corner. We celebrated last Saturday with lots and lots of food.
Dave's Seitan Po Boys, corn, potatoes and garlic done in a spicy boil, two kinds of slaw (one had dates and green apples in it--so tasty), shepherd's pies galore, gumbo, jambalaya, red beans and rice, and eggplant couvillion--just to name a few. All vegan and tons of it.

I wasn't too happy with the way my contributions came out, I scorched a huge pot of gumbo and the brown rice jambalaya I made, just wasn't my thing. But, the cake and cookies I made came out tasty, and I was happy about that. Dave isn't a big fan of chocolate, but he does like white chocolate quite a bit. There's a kosher grocer not far away that sells a vegan white chocolate chip, so I played around with them and really liked the results. I made some of Emma Goldman's cookies, but switched out white chocolate chips instead, some tastiness there. Then I made a banana kake with a white chocolate cream cheeze frosting (layered with a black cherry preserve). Yes, yes, yes.

Banana Cake with White Chocolate Cream Cheeze Frosting.
Makes a short double layer cake (next time I'm going to make 1.5X this recipe do make taller cakes). If anyone tries it, please let me know I put the measurements for this size in parentheses.

What You Need:
  • 3/4 cup Earth Balance (1 1/8 cups)
  • 1 1/2 cups unbleached granulated sugar (2 1/4 cups)
  • 1/2 cup vanilla soy yogurt (3/4 cup)
  • 1 cup mashed ripe banana --about three (1 1/2 cups)
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (1 1/2 teaspoons)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons Ener-G--add in dry (2 teaspoons)
  • 2 cups unbleached white flour (3 cups)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda (1 1/2 teaspoons)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt (3/4 teaspoon)
  • 1/2 cup soured soymilk (soymilk with 1 teaspoon of lemon juice to make one cup) (3/4 cup)
  • 1/3 cup seedless preserves
What You Do:
  1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour two 8" cake pans.In a large mixing bowl, cream together the Earth Balance and sugar until fluffy.
  2. Beat in the yogurt, bananas and vanilla.In a separate bowl, mix together the dry ingredients and add to the creamed mixture alternating with the the soured milk.Divide into the prepared cake pans and bake for 40-45 minutes (if you 1.5X the recipe the cakes will need to bake closer to an hour), until the cake tests clean with a toothpick.Let cool ten minutes and flip onto cake racks to cool completely. Frost with White Chocolate Cream Cheeze Frosting (just use white chocolate chips instead of chocolate, see recipe below).
  3. Enough for a double layer cake
What You Need For the Frosting:
  • 1/4 cup Earth Balance (at room temperature)
  • 8oz (one container) Tofutti cream cheeze
  • 1/2 cup vegan white chocolate chips, melted (I put them in a dish and microwaved them until soft)
  • 3 cups powdered sugar (sifted)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
What You Do:
  1. Beat the Earth Balance and cream cheeze together until smooth with a stand mixer or hand beaters.
  2. Beat in the melted chocolate.
  3. Add the rest of the ingredients and beat until whipped and very fluffy.
  4. Be sure to scrape down the sides of your bowl to get everything mixed well.
  5. Refrigerate to set.
  6. Split the two cake halves in half horizonatally and spread preserves in between.
  7. Spread frosting in the middle, sides and top.

xo
kittee

25 comments:

  1. So cute, so charming! I've leaned on your chocolate cupcake recipe as my default celebratory cake for too long now, because it always turns out just right and can handle any frosting recipe I throw at it.

    Time for something new, though, methinks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky, lucky Dave! It sounds like quite the feast & looks like quite the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want that when I turn 40! Or 25, it's closer. Lucky lucky Dave! I saw a guy that looks just like him at the gym yesterday, but considering I'm in Sweden I'll bet it wasn't him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a big white chocolate fan but white chocolate cream cheeze frosting sounds awesome. What brand of white chocolate chips do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky, Dave, and lucky us cuz we have the recipe, now.

    What a cute, animated shot of you, Kittee. Your big personality shines through everything you do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday to Dave! And I'll take a bowl of scorched Kittee food any time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kittee,

    I don't care what anyone says. That gumbo rocked my world at the party, then for dinner on Monday night and just a few minutes ago for lunch (four days later.) I need it, I want it. I don't care what I have to do to get it. (Michele)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i am so coming down to nola for my birthday

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness, what a lucky lucky boy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. & oh, the white chocolate & cherry oatmeal cookies rocked my world! everything was so-o delicious kittee, you made Dave's birthday super special!
    xo ana

    ReplyDelete
  11. That cake sounds soooo delicious!! You can never go wrong with cream cheeze icing. You sure did have lots food for the party & it all sounds wonderful. You take the kake!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's good to see Dave!!! I wish he would post some...
    Wish I could have joined in the fun,
    Love you,
    -T

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the picture. The cake sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy birthday to Dave!

    ReplyDelete
  15. that cake sounds so good, kitteeeee!
    by the way i got your zine the day i moved in to my new place. it was so exciting to get a piece of mail the first day :o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Neither of you look 40 (or in your case, near 40)! I'd guess 31. Seriously.

    And I've got to get my hands on some vegan white chocolate chips. Didn't even know they made such a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for all the comments everyone. Indeed I am turning 40 this year, and unfortunatley, I have no idea what brand the chips were. When I get back to NOLA (I'm visiting DC now) I'll let you know. They are anm Israeli brand, are pretty cheap and taste just like ones sold at Pangea.

    xo
    kittee

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lucky guy that Dave is! It sounds like you threw together an incredible feast Kittee!

    Sorry I missed your call-in this weekend. I hope you're having a great time.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  19. My tastebuds are screaming with excitement!!! This is the first time I've been able to check out your blog in months, and I find all this yummy wonderfulness! Too bad I just cut most of the sugar out of my diet! If only I'd com here sooner, you might have saved me from that foolish decision!

    And I saw your Flickr pictures of the meringue -- I used to say to people the only thing I'd not yet found a vegan version of was meringue. I must have that recipe. How can I get it???

    Kittee, you're the bestest! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, I can't wait till I turn 40 now! Or 30, whichever comes first. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wowza! Sounds like you guys had quite a spread. And that cake? Mmm. "Yes, yes, yes" indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  22. gawd, you have another birthday this year too? does that mean i get to make you another cake? this time it won't be so cornfukled and i won't get so fullof your delicious indian food that i won't be able to try any.

    ReplyDelete
  23. love the blog, keep ‘em coming! if you’re ever not in the mood to cook, i found a cool company that you should look up…vegin’ out, they’re called. They deliver a week of vegan meals…I know they deliver to California, I’m not sure about anywhere else, but I thought you might wanna check them out…www.veginout.com. have a good one!

    B.

    ReplyDelete
  24. So cute! I always love your cakes. They're so creative.

    Aaaaannnnnddd... you've been tagged!
    http://veganchicksrock.blogspot.com/2008/03/ive-been-tagged.html

    ReplyDelete
  25. Mmmm that cake looks fantastic and what a feast you guys must have had. Thanks for the recipe! I'm not a huge fan of white chocolate but that frosting certainly sounded tasty.

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.