|The only known photograph of the kake to survive. Nice picture of me.|
Dave's Seitan Po Boys, corn, potatoes and garlic done in a spicy boil, two kinds of slaw (one had dates and green apples in it--so tasty), shepherd's pies galore, gumbo, jambalaya, red beans and rice, and eggplant couvillion--just to name a few. All vegan and tons of it.
I wasn't too happy with the way my contributions came out, I scorched a huge pot of gumbo and the brown rice jambalaya I made, just wasn't my thing. But, the cake and cookies I made came out tasty, and I was happy about that. Dave isn't a big fan of chocolate, but he does like white chocolate quite a bit. There's a kosher grocer not far away that sells a vegan white chocolate chip, so I played around with them and really liked the results. I made some of Emma Goldman's cookies, but switched out white chocolate chips instead, some tastiness there. Then I made a banana kake with a white chocolate cream cheeze frosting (layered with a black cherry preserve). Yes, yes, yes.
Makes a short double layer cake (next time I'm going to make 1.5X this recipe do make taller cakes). If anyone tries it, please let me know I put the measurements for this size in parentheses.
What You Need:
- 3/4 cup Earth Balance (1 1/8 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached granulated sugar (2 1/4 cups)
- 1/2 cup vanilla soy yogurt (3/4 cup)
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana --about three (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (1 1/2 teaspoons)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Ener-G--add in dry (2 teaspoons)
- 2 cups unbleached white flour (3 cups)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (1 1/2 teaspoons)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (3/4 teaspoon)
- 1/2 cup soured soymilk (soymilk with 1 teaspoon of lemon juice to make one cup) (3/4 cup)
- 1/3 cup seedless preserves
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour two 8" cake pans.In a large mixing bowl, cream together the Earth Balance and sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in the yogurt, bananas and vanilla.In a separate bowl, mix together the dry ingredients and add to the creamed mixture alternating with the the soured milk.Divide into the prepared cake pans and bake for 40-45 minutes (if you 1.5X the recipe the cakes will need to bake closer to an hour), until the cake tests clean with a toothpick.Let cool ten minutes and flip onto cake racks to cool completely. Frost with White Chocolate Cream Cheeze Frosting (just use white chocolate chips instead of chocolate, see recipe below).
- Enough for a double layer cake
- 1/4 cup Earth Balance (at room temperature)
- 8oz (one container) Tofutti cream cheeze
- 1/2 cup vegan white chocolate chips, melted (I put them in a dish and microwaved them until soft)
- 3 cups powdered sugar (sifted)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Beat the Earth Balance and cream cheeze together until smooth with a stand mixer or hand beaters.
- Beat in the melted chocolate.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and beat until whipped and very fluffy.
- Be sure to scrape down the sides of your bowl to get everything mixed well.
- Refrigerate to set.
- Split the two cake halves in half horizonatally and spread preserves in between.
- Spread frosting in the middle, sides and top.