|Before baking, plump little dough balls.|
|Baked and as big as my hand!|
Peanut Butter Stuffed Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes 18 huge cookies.The recipe can be found on pakupaku, and it's in Papa Tofu too.
What You Need:
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick Earth Balance buttery spread (1/2 cup)
- 1 stick Earth Balance shortening or 1/2 cup Spectrum shortening
- 1/2 cup unbleached granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons powdered flax seeds blended well into 6 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- Mix together flours, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- In a large bowl using a mixer or by hand, cream together the Earth Balance and shortening, and both sugars (set aside 1/4 cup of the brown sugar to use later) until light and fluffy.
- Add the extract and flax mixture and continue to beat until fully combined.
- Gradually add in the dry ingredients until just mixed.
- Sir in the chocolate chips.
- Cover dough and chill for an hour.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the peanut butter and 1/4 cup brown sugar. Chill.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Divide out the chilled cookie dough into tablespoons. I have a small scoop that measures a tablespoon and it works perfectly for this job.
- Make your cookie bottoms by pressing half of the chocolate scoops into flat discs, with short walls (similar to a thumbprint cookie, but not as deep).
- Make your cookie tops by pressing the other half of the dough scoops into round discs that are just a bit larger in diameter than the bottoms.
- Place a rounded teaspoon of the peanut butter mixture on top of each bottom, try to keep it mounded in the middle.
- Pick up a bottom with peanut butter on it and cover it with a top. Working your way around the cookie, carefully pinch the edges well together to encase the peanut butter. Then carefully smooth over the edges with your hands and flatten them just a bit to make it compact.
- Bake cookies 9 to a sheet (they spread) for about 12-16 minutes. Let cool five minutes and then transfer to a wire rack.