Thursday, January 10, 2008

More Seitan Roundup


Our trip to India, didn't excuse me from the Seitan Roundup I promised to complete, it just delayed me a bit. These are the Barbecue "Spare Ribs" from Simply Heavenly, and it's probably the first seitan recipe I fell for. It's definitely in my circulation of go-to recipes, and I usually tend to make it around Mardi Gras (fore whatever reason, I like to make bbq, beans, cornbread, mac n cheeze and the like around this time of year). Unfortunately, this book is out of print, so I'll give y'all the basics--it's a really easy recipe--especially if you already have bbq sauce on hand.

Basically, you take 4 cups of raw gluten. You can use any recipe you want, I just added a bunch of vital wheat gluten to a bowl with some chickpea flour, salt, Creole seasoning, ground coriander and added water to bind. Then you saute up an onion until soft and beginning to caramelize and mix into it 1/3 cup nutritional yeast, 1/2 cup tahini, 2 tbl sweet paprika and 2 tsp salt (to taste). In a really big food processor, grind up half the raw seitan with half the onion mixture. Then do the other half, and then combine them. Preaheat your oven to 350F and spread 2 tbl of oil around a rimmed cookie sheet. Form patties out of the mixture about an inch thick and 3" in diameter and place close together on the sheet. Bake for 45 minutes, then cover in 2 cups of bbq sauce and increase the heat to 375F for twenty more minutes. I like to serve this with extra sauce. I think the texture of these is great. The added ingredients soften up the seitan and prevent it from becoming rubbery, but retain a chewy texture.

I served limas on the side with these, and they were a snap too--a new staple at Berns-Kerns central (thanks to my friend David Martin for sharing the how-tos). Throw a pound of dry limas in a crock pot and cover with about two inches of water, a dash of olive oil, a chopped jalapeno and an onion that's been browned. Season to taste once the beans are soft, I've been putting mine up before bed and they're done in the morning. You can also add some cumin or other spices to the browned onion if you want more flavor, but I think these are great as is with a big splosh of Tabasco before serving. If you're in a hurry or feeling lazy, you can just throw a chopped onion into the beans without browning them and they'll still taste great.

P.S. The rib recipe makes a ton, definitely enough to feed a crowd, or to freeze, or to keep in the fridge (like us) to eat all week.

xo
kittee

9 comments:

  1. Are the limas covered with water as well? I have some dried lima beans I need to make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. melisser!
    yes, oh yes. thanks for noticing that, i edited it to fix.

    these are fantastic. i didn't know i liked lima beans, i was scarred by the green frozen and pasty ones when i was wee.

    xo
    kittee

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm... i always think of limas as big and scary, too. and icky. maybe i need to whip up a batch of real beans. my crock pot is clean and raring to go....
    that seitan looks like a dream. then again, everything you make is like a dream...
    how's the little hairy man?
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. My three "ick" vegetables were always limas, beets, and Brussels sprouts. I've conquered beets and Brussels, so I guess I better get on to lima beans.

    The seitan does look dreamy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the seitan and lima recipes Kittee. I'll have to give them both a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man I absolutely love butter beans, but I've never managed to make them like my grandmother does. I always end up boiling them too dry and having to put in water when they're almost done, so the yummy think soup that forms around Nanny's beans ends up being plain water in mine :-/

    I need to stop being scared of the pressure cooker.

    I am glad you posted to your blog!! I was missing it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That seitan texture is unlike any I've ever seen! So glad you are doing the roundup and thank you for the recipe.

    There is just something about bbq seitan and mac and cheese. I could eat those together every day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've had Simply Heavenly for years, but have never made this recipe - I just made it for lunch and it is delicious. Thanks for posting!

    I want to try your lima recipe, too, but I may wait until a day when the Lima Hater (who is also an Onion Hater and a Hot Pepper Hater) is not home for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks unlike anything I have ever seen! I am really intrigued. And, I love lima beans!

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.