Thursday, December 20, 2007

Cookies!


The New Orleans central library is stocked full of cookbooks, It's awesome, and I always check out a stack of books at least two feet tall. With all of the holiday hubbuzz, I've been wanting to bake some cookies and yesterday I scored several dedicated 100% to cookies. I started out the madness with oreo cookie cookies, I originally saw a version that Celine had posted, and wanted to give it a whirl with a combination of standard fake eggs (I've been having great luck with a mix of soy yogurt and Ener-G). Weirdly, two of the recipes I wanted to try called for cream of tartar, which made me worried, since I've never baked with it before (I've only ever seen it in play-doh recipes). The oreo cookie texture came out great, these are definitely a new favorite. I made them on the small size, but they would be amazing patted into gigantic patties.

Here's the recipe with my adaptations:
Oreo Cookie Cookies
10 tablespoons Earth Balance (sticks)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 teaspoons Ener-G egg replacer
1/4 cup plain soy yogurt
2 cups unbleached all purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
15 Newman O's broken into quarters

a handful of semi sweet chocolate chips

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Beat butter and sugars until smooth. Add vanilla, yogurt and Ener-G and mix until combined.

In a separate bowl, stir together flour, soda, salt, baking powder and cream of tartar. Add flour mixture to butter mixture and stir until incorporated. Stir in cookies and chocolate chips by hand.

Drop the dough using a small scoop (mine is a tablespoon) to shape cookies. Pat down the tops a bit, to reduce the spherical shape. Bake for about 15-17 minutes or until brown around the edges. Cool slightly on cookie sheet, then transfer to a rack to set: remove from baking sheet. Cool on wire rack. Makes about 36 small cookies

I also made "traffic light cookies." These can be made with any rolled sugar cookie dough. The bars are 1"X3" and half have small circles cut out (I used a bubble tea straw). The cookies are sandwiched together with melted strawberry jam, and the centers are filled with powdered sugar mixed with a small amount of water and colored (I just used a spoon to carefully drop the glaze in, after the cookies had already been sandwiched together).


The last batch were reindeer cookies, adapted from this recipe. Again, I used 1/4 cup of soy yogurt for each egg and added 1 full tablespoon of Ener-G. The pretzel and red noses were baked in, and then I frosted with a powdered sugar glaze and jimmies.

Y.U.M!

xo
kittee

16 comments:

  1. Nice! Those traffic light cookies are really nifty, and you made such cute reindeer. Awesome decorating ideas all around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the reindeer cookies. So cute! I love the idea of combining the Ener-G and soy yogurt. I'll have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay cookies! don't fear the cream of tartar. i always use it in snickerdoodles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cookies look awesome- and so whimsical! I could decorate my house in the scheme of those traffic light ones... I wish our public library had more cookbooks- especially all the vegan ones I'm eying...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look great! Thanks for posting the vegan alternative.

    I forgot that Paul Newman's cookies were vegan. I wonder how a ginger version would taste. Maybe a similar version of that cookie but with a little ginger and molasses in the dough, then broken up Newman ginger cookies. Hmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. dear kittee,
    you are amazing. i want to eat your cookies.
    love, mmm_cake
    ps: your blog is so fancy, i should have dressed better to post here. please forgive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kittee. you. are. so. talented.

    and seriously on a permanent sugar buzz!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The oreo cookies look neat - imagine using cookies in another cookie recipe. The traffic light cookies turned out well also.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kittee. I love the pictures of all your beautiful cookies. I also wanted to thank you for Crispy Crunchy Stuffed Tofu! I posted about making it if you're curious. Tasty Tasty!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my, those oreo cookie cookies are giving me a major craving!! I love your decorating for the traffic light and reindeer cookies as well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, and I love your live traffic widget!! I think I need to get one of those on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. came back to say happy new year, Kittee!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What great ideas! Those are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i'm gonna need to eat those oreo cookie cookies. like, stat.

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.