Monday, November 5, 2007

Satsumas are in Season.


We went to sleep with two flats last night, so I knew from the get-go today that I'd be dealing with getting the car towed and the tires fixed. I had a pretty amicable ride over the Mississippi with The Tow Guy (a real nice view of the river actually, since I sit so low in our Prius I can't even see a drop of it when I drive myself over), until he started talking about deer huntin' and how much he loved, loved, loved it. For real, he was using so many superlatives to describe his love for shooting, cooking and eating deer, that I got it. I really did. He even gave me the "tut-tut" when he heard I've never engaged in venison eating. Well, I know for a fact he's never eaten seitan before, so "tut-tut" back to you, Tow-Man.
The good thing about the trip was I ended up near our favorite produce stand, and got to stop on my way home to say hi to George and to load up on some local products. We're sorta inbetween seasons down here in Southern Lousiana, it's still a bit too cold for lots of greens and cruciferous veggies, but the summer season with it's bumper crops has gone. What we do have in quantity are super-deelish satsumas. Satsumas are really common here, they're a variety of mandarin oranges, with super easy to peel rinds, few if any seeds, lots of juice, and are delightfully sweet with a bit of a tang. Dazee and I have been buying sacks of them, I can easily eat four or five in a row, especially since they can be peeled in seconds. Satsuma juice is particularly delicious, I squeezed some for the pan de muertos I made last week and had some at a cafe with brunch on Saturday. Don't let the green peel sway you, satsumas are lovely citrus specimens. I just shared one with my neighbor Patrick, and he told me that one of his trees is full of 'em and should be ripe in another week. I can't wait, I'm gonna help him unload those, and then I'll hit up my friend Miranda, I bet her blood oranges aren't too far behind.

xo
kittee

11 comments:

  1. I've never had a Satsuma, but if I had a little girl, I think that's what I'd name her.

    And "tut-tut" to the Tow Guy. For shame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found out last week that they actually dye some oranges orange. WTF?? That made me so angry. I picked up a whole bag of greenish Valencias and let me tell ya, they were delicious. I'm steering clear of dyed oranges from now on. Who'd have thunk it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2 flat tires, how? And Tow Man sounds just lovely. Glad some good came out of a day that started out so bad!

    <3
    kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of nor knowingly tried a satsuma (if they're a variety of mandarin I'm thinking there's a chance I might have had one and been none the wiser). They sound great. Tough peels get me every time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love satsumas and can easily down 5 of them without even thinking. We buy them in crates for xmas and eat them all through the holiday. I eat them now too of course, but they mostly remind me of xmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a bunch of family members (cousins, uncles, aunts - not immediate family) who are big big big fans of hunting. It seriously stresses me out, and they talk about it even more than usual when I'm around just to be jerks. They are all really great people otherwise - I just don't get it. I doubt I would have different feelings on the matter if I grew up surrounded by it (my parents have no interest whatsoever), so I can't use that as an excuse for them.
    I was tricked into eating venison when I was a little kid. I was like 4 years old, and a friend of my dad's didn't tell me what it was. I spat it out because I thought it tasted gross, and when he told me what it was I cried for hours because I thought I ate Bambi.
    heh

    ReplyDelete
  7. pretty much this is my favorite part of the fall/holiday/winter season. eating crates and crates of citrus, especially all kinds of tangerines. You are so lucky to be in the south and have friends with citrus trees! Mmmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of my coworkers just brought in three bags of satsumas to share. I love free produce!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I live for satsumas! How wonderful to have them so close to your home!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Satsumas are the best! Lucky you - they have to migrate in an airplane to reach me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I picked up some Satsumas at the farmers market this week. I'd never had them before, but the farmer encouraged me to try them out & I loved them so much I bought some!

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.