Saturday, November 10, 2007

Papa Tofu Debut

Papa Tofu, the vegetarian patriarch
Woo. It's 1 AM and I just got home, a long day! I had so much fun today, Billy and I sold a bunch of stuff, and so many friends came out to say hello. I love my friends, but my vegan friends--I pinch their faces! The book fair was split over three buildings, and Billy and I were lucky enough to be assigned prime real estate at the front of Ray's Boom Boom Room.


Of course, I had to sit right next to gumbo and nasty steaming crab legs ALL DAY, the biggest vegan joke of all. I was gagging in the morning, but by 2PM I was mostly numb to it (it smelled soooo-sooo disgusting, how can anyone CHOOSE to eat that?).


Watermelon Guy
I ended up making chocolate sandwich cookies with a mint chocolate ganache (think Thin Mint), white chocolate chip cookies, chocolate chip cookies and peanut butter cocoa puff squares.

Mint chocolate sandwich cookie
I sold out of all the baked goods, except for a few vagrant chocolate chip cookies. This one couple came up to our table, and the gal was really interested in buying Papa Tofu, but her manfriend kept hissing at her, "but we're not vegan!" She kept trying to explain to him that they could still eat the food in the zine, but he wouldn't have any of it--and he was so mean and disapproving about it. I had to concentrate to stay non-irritated, and then of course the same guy ended up buying that shellfish!

The highlight, my Ethiopian friend Hirut showed up with husband in tow, because she thought I was cooking Ethiopian wot. She was so excited, they came for dinner! It made my whole day really. We giggled as she's planning to come over and get some starter from me--she said my injera is perfect! It would mean so much to cook for them, I can't wait for that. Instead I sent them off with a copy of the zine, an ear cozy and some switch-plates.

Here's Billy hiding from his success.
My best side, posing in front of seafood.
Thanks for the emails and support!

xo
kittee

17 comments:

  1. yay, Kittee!! why do people need to be so mean, though? and the girl didn't end up buying the zine? she shoulda stood up to him! that was so shellfish of him. ha...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw man, it looks like so much fun (except for the dead crab, of course)! Wish I could have been there...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had a great time! Can't wait to get my hands on Papa Tofu.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, kitteecakes!!

    I'm so glad things look to have gone so well for you!!

    (only in Louisiana can you find something wondefully vegan only to look behind it and see something totally gross like a taxidermist lesson on how to mount fish, or nasty steaming carcasses)

    I'm still bitter that I had to work.

    Can't wait to find out when the rest of us will be able to get our wallets (and drool buckets) ready for "Papa Tofu!!"

    Love you, girlie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. good show! let us know when we can order papa tofu...can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yay! i'm so glad it went well! i am so excited to see papa tofu yay yay!

    i've got lots and lots of secret blogs --ha! oh, and i've got a cold but before i was all frustrated by my achy body -- from practicing thriller! so that's the only kind of down i've been. down but not DOWN, you know?

    love,
    michelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your table looks so cool Kittee! It really does figure that the vegan table would be next to the stinky fish booth. makes you wonder who planned that one out?

    It looks like you had a great time. Wish I could of been there. I'll just have to order one of your zines and imagine that I'm eating one of your yummy baked goods.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, my daughter is coming to NO for spring break, with Habitat. Where can she get some good vegan food? Does Old Dog New Trick still exist? The last time I was in NO it was impossible to find vegan food!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so adorable I just want to pinch your cheeks! I'm glad to hear you had a good showing. I would have gluttonously bought up all of your mint cookies. mmmmm. I'm dreaming of them right now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay Kittee! Yay Papa tofu! Boo, crab legs and mean boyfriends!

    I'm glad you had such success. I know you've been working hard for this for quite a while!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad that things went so well for you. Well, except for the gross smells next to you. For some reason it always feels like the seafood smell is sooo much worse than other meat smells. Or maybe that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i can't wait to be able to order papa tofu! so exciting! and i'm so sad for the woman whose man talked her out of buying it. not cool, man.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your table looks super cute - I'm totally eyeballing your hand-knitted items over there :)
    Sorry that guy was so crabby with you (I'm sorry - I couldn't help it). Maybe he was leaning on the glass.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bringing delicious baked goods to the masses! That's so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  16. lol. did you know that chocolate was banned in switzerland for many years. read this

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.