Sunday, November 11, 2007

Happy birthday tofu pumpkin ravioli!


I had a long awaited play date with Dave and Ana today and brought along a hand cranked pasta maker and a magical ravioli attachment.

I've been meaning to try the ravioli gadget for a long time, and since Dave was game and we knew Ana had a pumpkin, it was on. This attachment is an Italian wonder, and I bet someone thought of it one night while trying to sleep, but scheming about ravioli instead. It just slips onto the machine and after pasta strips have been rolled out, they're threaded into the top, filling is scooped on and then the crank is turned. The machine automatically fills and stamps the ravioli as they roll through.



















I've made ravioli by hand before and have always just used semolina flour, salt and water for the dough. Today, however, I decided to try the dough recipe from Bryanna's Nonna's Italian Kitchen. Bryanna uses unbleached white flour, chickpea flour and salt. It made a great elastic, easy to handle dough, which did not gum at all after they were simmered. I wung the filling: sauted onions, parsley, garlic, walnuts, salt, ground coriander, cumin, Tony Chachere's and hot paprika pureed into tofu and freshly steamed pumpkin.

After we cooked them and were nibbling on a few, Dave came up with the idea to make a ravioli pasta salad, as we were headed to a birthday party--best idea! They were so freakin' delicious, it made me wish this was VeganRavMo instead of VeganMofo.

Thanks for the great photos, Dave!

If it looks like I'm delivering a baby in these pictures, that's how I felt. As Ana rotated the crank, Dave held the dough, and I got ready to catch the newly born raviolis, I swear my little Atlas Pasta Maker was crowning.

xo
kittee

22 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love making my own ravioli!!!

    i have a bunch of roasted pumpkin in my fridge. i just might make some ravioli tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And what a great play date it was! It was super good to see you two days in a row, kittee.

    Making the ravioli was lots of fun and we had a super delicious reward at the end.

    I can't wait to do it again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmm this looks so yummy! What is the recipe for the filling? I would love to try making these by hand,

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey jen!
    i made the filling up, and i didn't measure the ingredients but it wasn't too hard.

    Saute half a red onion in a few tablespoons of olive oil with two handfuls of walnuts, a teaspoon of fresh garlic, 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh parsley, 1 1/5 tablespoons of ground coriander, 1 teaspoon of cumin, salt and hot paprika or cayenne to taste. add that to 1 pound of crumbled extra firm tofu and about 2 cups of fresh steamed pumpkin (it was half of small to medium small pumpkin). blend until mostly smooth. season to taste with salt and black pepper.

    xo
    kittee

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh! and i also sauted a good handful of fresh mushrooms too and added some fresh cilantro at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh nifty! I'm still dying to make my own ravioli one of these days, but I can't find vegan wonton wrappers and I'm way too lazy to actually make the dough... Especially when I don't have a cool gadget like this to help! Anyway, have fun with it, and I'll keep watching jealously from afar. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my kittee! that looks so fun and so tasty!

    i yearn for a cookdate. yearn!

    love,
    michelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is it wrong that I find the idea of a crowning pasta maker... sexy? Hmmm. Now my brain's gonna be all messed up, confusing ravioli and babies and yumminess and sexiness. But in a good way!

    One of these days, I'll make my own pasta, I promise!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm jealous that you have the ravioli attachment. I've made pumpkin pasta with my cranky pasta maker, but never ravioli.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh wow! That is so cool! Where did you find that?

    ReplyDelete
  12. That ravioli looks so good-- and the cookies look amazing!

    I'm in line for your zine when it goes public.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just had a ravioli flop using the machine. Looking at your pictures, I feel better about ruining a batch of dough and messing up an entire kitchen knowing that you had a couple of helping hands. It seems like these machines are designed for three-armed humans.

    Any suggestions why my ravioli kept getting stuck in the machine? I kept adding more and more flour but still ended up having to clear up a lot of gunk every time I ran a sheet of dough through. Finally, I decide to remove the plastic scraper bit at the bottom which helped somewhat but I'm pretty sure that's not the way it's supposed to be done.

    Great pictures by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi adi!
    i bet i know why yours were sticking, we had the same issue until we figured it out. you need to keep the filling to the middle, if it gets to the edges it seeps out and sticks. keep it mounded about 1.25 inches wide in the center, and the machine will spread it out, but will keep it encased in the dough. you also need to keep a lot of flour in the gear.

    xo
    kittee

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the advice - I gave up last night at midnight in disgust - my wife woke up this morning in shock at the state of the kitchen :) I still have some filling left so perhaps I'll try again - masochist that I am ;) This time I think I'll borrow a pair of hands.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so jealous! I think I've fallen in love with that fantastic ravioli maker. I want it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  17. that looks SO good... I need to try to hand at ravioli now for sure

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't know if you'll read this but I sure hope so.

    PLEASE can you give step-by-step instructions on how to use the ravioli attachment?
    I got one as a special request for my birthday but I've tried several times and the raviolis just keep bunching up under the roller.

    You would make me a VERY happy person if you could explain what the magic trick is!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. wholegrain:
    send me an email and i will explain--maybe you can get on IM with me.

    kittee68 at yahoo dot com

    xo
    kittee

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks Kittee!
    I'm emailing you as I've no experience of IM and wouldn't know where to start!!

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.