Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Crispy Crunchy Stuffed Seitan

I've decided that the Seitan from The Real Food Daily is textured more like tofu, than anything else--so why not try to stuff it like my beloved stuffed tofu pockets? The results win!--even though I still think the texture is weird for gluten... The seitan from this recipe works well because, a) the texture is good for stuffing and baking and b) it's made in a square brownie pan, so you get a shape that's easy to cut into triangles.

The other night while I was dozing off, I thought of a new stuffing recipe inspired by Lebanese Spinach Pies. So, abuzz with a new idea, I sauteed up some green onions and spinach and seasoned it up with sumac, cayenne, salt, lemon juice and fresh cilantro and then tossed in some pine nuts. I loved the results, and since I'll be cooking some food for a benefit on Thursday [see below], I'll probably make these again tomorrow. I'll try to take better notes of amounts and stuff for any diehard CCST fans out there. I've also come to the realization that I am a sucker for stuffed things: tofu pockets, seitan pockets, papusas, parathas, stuffed cookies, spinach pies, masala dosas, samosas, arupas, burritos, the list is endless!

The Evens
Thursday, November 15. Nowe Miasto. 7:30PM. $5. Booking
The return of Nowe Miasto with one of the best shows of the year. The Evens are Amy Farina and Ian MacKaye (ex-Fugazi/-Warmers/et al). Doors at 7:30, and the show starts promptly at 8:30pm, and is over by 9:30pm--NO JOKE! This is a benefit for Nowe Miasto, the money will go directly to rebuilding so we can create affordable housing, community space and continue to have rad events. We also have really nice posters for sale and food, so bring a little extra cash if you can.


Ian might get this one if he's lucky!
xo
kittee

5 comments:

  1. i am drooling over here. drool, drool, drool. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my, that looks crazy good!!! craaaazy!

    love,
    michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.