Friday, October 12, 2007

More w'et, more injera!

I'm working through my Ethiopian recipe collection, trying to get my recipes updated so I can complete this cookzine I'm working on. With the injera success from last week, I thought I'd give it another go--this time with half white flour and half injera. The results from last week were much better, the ones today were lighter in color, but much gummier--still tasty though. I'm thinking next go, I'll try 3/4 teff, 1/4 white and see what happens. It's so much easier to make now that I've got the starter bubbling away in the fridge!

Some friends came for supper tonight, and I made fake doro w'et, shimbra asa w'et, Atkilt W'et and Noy-Noy made salad. I finally wrote down my doro w'et method, which has been a looong time coming, and the shimbra asa was a new one for me. I adapted the recipe from this great blog, Watch Lady emailed me a few months ago to give me confidence in injera-making at home.

The food was heavy, but so freakin' tasty too.

Clockwise from bottom left: shimbra asa w'et, which translates to chickpea fish stew (chickpea dumplings in a spicy white wine and berbere sauce), atkilt w'et (cabbage, potatoes, green beans and carrots seasoned with niter kibbeh), fake doro w'et (TVP chick'n in a spicy red wine and tomato berbere sauce) and salad (greens, cukes, carrots and tomatoes in a vinaigrette).

atkilt w'et
serves 6-8
  • 2 big carrots peeled and thickly sliced
  • 1/2 pound green beans, snapped in half
  • 1 pound thin skinned potatoes (2 large ones), chopped in a 3/4" dice
  • 3/4 pound cabbage (half small), chopped in a 1" dice
  • 1 small jalapeno sliced
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup niter kebbeh
  • salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 425F. Combine everything in an oven proof casserole, cover and bake until just about tender stirring every 15 minutes. When almost tender, remove lid and continue baking uncovered until done. Season with salt and pepper to taste and 1/4 cup chopped parsley.

"doro" w'et
serves 6-8
  • 4oz TVP chick'n breasts or 3-4 cups seitan
  • 1 cup red wine
  • 2 cups boiling water
  • 1/4 cup niter kebbeh
  • 2 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
  • 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons berbere
  • 1/4 cup mild paprika (optional)
  • 1 tomato, very finely chopped (I pulsed mine in the food processor)
  • 8oz tomato sauce
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup red wine
  • 1/4-1/2 water to thin if necessary
  1. If using TVP, hydrate in 1 cup red wine and 2 cups boiling water until soft (omit if using seitan), drain and squeeze out. Chop the hydrated TVP or seitan into 1" pieces, set aside.
  2. Saute the onion, ginger, garlic and salt in the niter kebbeh until very soft.
  3. Add the berbere and paprika and saute 2-3 minutes to fry spices. Add the tomato and saute another minute.
  4. Add the tomato sauce, water and 1/2 cup wine (I use the water to get all of the sauce out of the can) and stir to combine.
  5. Add the protein and simmer slowly until the sauce has thickened and the flavors are blended. Add 1/4-1/2 cup water if necessary to thin (my sauce tends to thicken up when I have several dishes going at once and I don't tend to it as much as I should).
Shimbra Asa W'et
serves 6-8
  • 2 cups chickpea flour
  • 1 teaspoon berbere
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
Combine all ingredients and rest 30 minutes. Form into patties about 3" across and 1/3" thin. Fry in canola oil until golden. Drain and season with salt. Cut into quarters and set aside.
  • 4 cups chopped onion
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup niter kebbeh
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 4 tablespoons berbere
  • 1/4 cup white wine
  • 2 cups water
  1. Over medium heat, saute the onion, salt and garlic in niter kebbeh and oil until very soft and just beginning to caramelize.
  2. Add the cumin and berbere and continue to saute 2-3 minutes to fry spices.
  3. Add the white wine and water and simmer slowly until the sauce has thickened and the flavors are blended.
  4. Remove half of the sauce and puree until smooth. Return to pot and stir to combine.
  5. Just before serving, combine the dumplings with the sauce, they will soften up but will not turn mushy.


  1. Kittee- you remind me (in beautiful and delicious ways) that I need to learn more about Ethiopian food! It's one thing to enjoy it in restaurants... well let's just say Syracuse doesn't have any Ethiopian restaurants. ;-)

  2. Kittee, I'm dying to make all this! Or maybe I'm just dying to come visit you, so I can taste your amazing food! hehe.

  3. In Rome I ate at Africa, an Ethiopian-Eritrian restaurant. It was my husband's first Ethiopian food (other than my attempts!) and he loved it too. We were so stuffed we could hardly walk back to the hotel!

  4. The shimbra gravy is out of control! Thanks.


I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.