Wednesday, October 3, 2007

It was really good.


I'm sure I've lost most readers with my over abundance of Ethiopian babble, but I can't help myself from writing about it more.

Dazee and I had a small dinner last night, to launch the injera. I made two wots, a smooth green pea puree and a spicier lentil stew with berbere and tomatoes--with salad of course (I love the way the salad dressing cuts through all the flavors).

The injera was the perfect texture, truly it was wonderful. We couldn't even detect the strong flavor of the teff with all the other flavors going on, it just tasted good.

I'm still planning to try another batch with less teff.

Here's what I made: I have other recipes and info about Ethiopian Cuisine posted on my recipe site, Pakupaku.

Atar Allecha
This makes a spiced green pea pureé or you can swap yellow split peas for similar results.
What You Need:
  • 1/3 cup onion, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, finely minced or pressed
  • 3 tablespoons niter kebbeh
  • 1 cup dry split green peas, rinsed and drained
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 teaspoons green chili, seeded and finely chopped
  • 1/2-1 cup water
What You Do:
  1. Soak the split peas for one hour in three cups of water.
  2. Bring them to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer about 30 minutes, adding more water if necessary. When the peas are cooked, drain if necessary and mash well.
  3. In a dry pan over moderately low heat, stir-fry the onion and garlic for 2 minutes.
  4. Add the niter kebbeh and sauté until the onion becomes transparent.
  5. Add the mashed peas, turmeric, salt and green chili to the onion mixture.
  6. Add just enough water to loosen it up and cook to reduce the mixture to a thick, well-spiced pureé.
  7. Puree until smooth with an immersion blender.
  8. Serve warm or room temperature with injera.
Yemiser W'et
What You Need:
  • 1 cup red lentils
  • 3 cups boiling water
  • 1 cup onions, finely chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, finely minced or pressed
  • 1/4 cup niter kebbeh
  • 1 tablespoon berbere
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
  • 2 cups tomatoes, finely chopped
  • 1/4 cup tomato paste
  • 1 cup vegetable stock or water
  • salt and pepper to taste

What You Do:

  1. Rinse the lentils and add them to 3 cups of boiling water.
  2. Reduce the heat and simmer about 30 minutes, adding more water if necessary, until the lentils are tender. You should get about 3 cups of cooked lentils.
  3. Meanwhile, sauté the onions and garlic in the niter kebbeh, until the onions are just translucent.
  4. Add the berbere, cumin, and paprika and sauté for a few minutes more, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
  5. Mix in the chopped tomatoes and tomato paste and simmer for another 5 to 10 minutes.
  6. Add the cup of vegetable stock or water and continue simmering.
  7. When the lentils are cooked, drain them and mix them into the onion mixture. Continue to simmer until the stew is reduced to a thick mixture.
  8. Season with salt and serve warm with injera.

Variations: Omit the green peas and use red lentils instead of the brown. Reduce the broth by half and add the lentils without draining. Puree to a smooth texture.
SaladIt was simply chopped tomato, carrot and cucumber with lettuce and Italian dressing.

xo
kittee

13 comments:

  1. Lost? Are you kidding? This is totally fascinating. That dinner looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you would never lose me talking about ethiopian food! i dream ethipoian food....mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so fantastic. I love Ethiopian food so much, but have never made it at home. I totally want to, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm dying to make all this! I'm only missing a few things.. so bummed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm loving the Ethiopian recipes - please don't stop. I just have to pluck up courage to make my own injera.
    Cara (friend of Noel's from London)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kittee! I've found you again! I used to visit your food website, mainly for the Ethiopian recipes. (And I always read your comments on Vegsource, long long ago!) I wondered if you'd started a blog, and when I saw your name over at Bazu's blog, I followed the link and voila!

    You helped advance my vegan-ness years ago. Thank you.

    BTW, I'm going to Rome next week, where I hope to indulge in Ethiopian food.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yay ethiopian! i am excited for your new recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh kittee..... beautiful!


    maybe someday I won't have to drive an hour for ethiopian.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so happy for you and your injera success!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi,kitte

    That's so wonderfull!!!! I am proud of you. I cant wait to try...........
    Hirut

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was not sure what Niter kibbeh was so I looked it up and it says it's a clarified butter? I am not sure what that means and if that insists it is an animal product?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Traditionally Niter Kibbeh is made from clarified butter, but it's easy to make using oil or vegan butter.

      xo
      kittee

      Delete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.