Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Candied Small Pox...


Noy-noy turned 27 this weekend, and to celebrate I made some caramel apples. I've made pralines and popcorn balls before, so I know a thing or two about dealing with caramel, but these threw me for a bit of a loop. The caramel was made from equal amounts of granulated sugar, brown sugar, dark karo syrup and heavy cream (I mixed some vanilla soymilk powder into regular soymilk), with Earth Balance and vanilla stirred in at the end.


My biggest hurdle was that the candy was supposed to come up to 275F, I used a candy thermometer, but the only way I could boil the syrup was in a big giant pot--it kept boiling over in smaller saucepans. I don't think I got a proper read on the thermometer, so the caramel came out waaay darker than it was supposed to, though it was still really tasty. The pox are weird though, huh? I have no idea what happened, but they appeared a few minutes after each apple was dunked.

xo
kittee

10 comments:

  1. i think it's the soymilk powder!
    my candy corn does that to me sometimes. even if i sift the powder in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. if that's small pox let's have an epidemic. at my house.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, I wonder if it's the soymilk powder or maybe the wax on the apples (if you used a waxed type)? I would just say they are warty apples & pawn it off on Halloween! They still look yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello kittee, you have a great blog over here! Even though they do have some pox the candied apples still look hot! So hot that I only came here to say: can I have one?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like chocolate-covered apple with crunches of nuts..

    ReplyDelete
  6. these candied apples look absolutely sensational/perfect to me!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I'll be darned. This is the first time pox of any kind have been so appetizing to me!

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.