Friday, September 21, 2007

Tropical Storm Cookies!

My friend Eve and I headed over to my favorite thrift today, Red White and Blue. I scored a huge amount of vintage fabric, which made me really happy--since I have all sorts of projects begging to be constructed. I also found something really unexpected, an old Mirro cookie press--it looked like it had rarely, if ever, been used. It was only $2.95, so I couldn't resist!


It came with it's original recipe booklet, and lots of different cookie disks, although it seems like it's missing the donut attachment (this is probably a good thing--I have no room for a donut binge in my life). So I summoned up the spirit of my Grandma Hannah, who always had spritzed cookies in tins hiding in her kitchen apartment, and set to work. Holy crap, spritzed cookies are seriously fun to make! No wonder my Grandma always had these squirreled away (as a kid, I always thought they were really boring and couldn't figure out why she always made them). My cookie press came with tons of disk choices, but in the end I had to choose the spiral design, 'cuz it looks just like the big tropical storm that is supposed to plop down on us in New Orleans tomorrow.


I may as well have cookies made for the big event! I halved and veganized the Quick-Mix Spritz cooky recipe that came in the pamphlet, and then jacked it up with yellow and rose Wilton color paste. Oh! These came out really well. In case you have a cookie press tucked away with no vegan recipes to go with it, here's your chance!


Quick-Mix Spritz Cookies
makes about two dozen cookies

1 cup unbleached white flour (plus 1-2 tablespoons if needed to firm up dough)
3/8 cup granulated sugar
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup Spectrum shortening
1/8 cup plain soy yogurt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
color paste
  1. Preheat oven to 375F.
  2. Sift dry ingredients together in a bowl.
  3. In a mixer, combine the shortening and dry ingredients until the fat is cut evenly into the mix and resembles coarse crumbs.
  4. Add in the yogurt and vanilla, mix to combine.
  5. Divide the dough in half and tint each piece to your desired color.
  6. Sandwich the two colors together into one cylinder and cram into your cookie press.
  7. Spritz cookie dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
  8. Bake 10-12 minutes, remove from heat and move to a cooling rack with a spatula.
Baked and spinning towards New Orleans...

10 comments:

  1. I love these. My gram used to make those!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay! I have a cookie press that I have only used TWICE since getting it last christmas, and with poor results. thank you for posting this kittee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm stealing gory's cookie press next time i go up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SUPER excited about these! I received a cookie press when I got married (2 years ago) & have never used it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the recipe! I inherited that exact cookie press when my Grandma passed away, but it didn't come with a recipe book. I've been waiting for a vegan spritz cookie recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, I had one of those cookie presses. I really regret giving it up now :( That and a mandolin slicer. Great post - you gave me some Christmas cookie ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love my cookie press but I don't use it nearly often enough. Cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. these are increible! (please say that with a spanish accent.) i would eat a million of these bright swirls if i were so lucky to have them placed in front of me.
    your thrift trip reminds me of my chicago days. such treasures i found at the arc, many of which i still have. portland is a picked over city now. i should just keep my chicago days dear in my heart and take a trip to NOLA.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those look so cute! I have used my cookie press once...I never had any luck with it. If mine came out like yours, I would use it all the time! Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks great! I'd love to try but don't have yogurt, what can I use instead?
    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.