Kitchen Sink Lentil Soup
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 full stems curry leaves (about 20 leaves--you could use a bay leaf instead)
- 1 cup 3/4" cubed squash
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped snap beans
- 3/4 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 10 cups water.
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- fresh herbs and hot sauce to garnish
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- In a bit pot, saute the onion and curry leaves in the oil for five minutes.
- Add the squash and green beans and saute for five minutes more.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, lentils and water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer covered, until the lentils are soft.
- Add salt and season to taste with more salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Curry leaves are chewy, tasty and edible, but bay leaves are not. Now's the time to dig out the bay leaf if you used it.
- Garnish with chopped fresh herbs and hot sauce.